Thread: Vfd for lathe

Vfd for lathe

Can somebody recommend a vfd for a Powermatic model 90 lathe. It has a 1.5 hp 3 phase motor on it. Thanks, Bruce

Hitachi WJ200-015SF 2hp 220V single phase in 3ph out. These are great because they are easy to add DC break to them to make very quick stops or stop large lathe heads without causing your VFD to fault. You can also add an optional potentiometer to them (speed control) or use a separate optional remote panel. They can also be programed with a PC if you don't like entering the codes via the front controls.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I have used several Hitachi VFDs and they are good machines (and expensive). I recently bought a VFD from automation direct for a metal lathe; quite a bit less expensive than a Hitachi and it does what I needed. Edited; the 2 hp model is a lot more expensive than the 1 hp (might not be such a good deal). This one should work for you: http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/...AC%29/GS2-22P0
    There are certainly VFDs available with more features if you need them. Your dollars, your choice.
    Last edited by Dennis Ford; 06-30-2014 at 10:53 PM.

Blog Entries
    If you need to be a bit cheep, do a search for Allen-Bradley 22a or 160 models on ebay. I've had good luck with them.

What about one of these?

http:/ / www .ebay .com/itm/FREE-SHIPPING-HUANYANG-1-5KW-220V-2HP-7A-VARIABLE-FREQUENCY-DRIVE-INVERTER-VFD-A-/200849151352?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec38a d578#ht_5564wt_907
    Last edited by John Keeton; 07-02-2014 at 6:17 AM. Reason: Remove EBay link per TOS

Bruce, I have 4 of these running in my shop, 2 lathes, drill press and bandsaw. Not a lot of money and very nice control.
    http://motorsandcontrol.com/products...f-14-inverter/
    You will need to get the one for your size of motor.
    Happy turning.
    Syd Sellers
    Rocky Roost Woodturning
    Old wood turners never die, they just keep chipping away!

The one Dave C put on a Ebay link I just put on my Union Graduate lathe with a 2hp motor. It's been working great so far haven't used it allot but I'd say price wise good unit.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Thanks guys I should find one find one from these choices. this will be going in my new shop this summer.

I'd recommend ABB's ACS150-03U-06A7-2. I also agree with Mike Heidrick's recommendation of Hitachi WJ200 series. I have used them both & they have been great. I'm not a big fan of buying Chinese made VFDs on eBay.

Not to change the purpose of the original thread, but...

I have passed up a number of machines because they were 3 phase and I do not have three phase power, nor do I have a phase converter. I have looked unto rotary and static converters, but at $1000 on up, I never went for it. However, a $200 vfd may have been a really good option to get a 3 phase machine in my shop. Some of the machines, like a 36" bandsaw with a 5hp motor. This machine does not need variable speed, but for a few hundred dollars as opposed to $1000 or more might have made the difference. Has anyone used a vfd simply to get a 3-phase machine in their shop?
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll