Thread: Saw restoration – Apple worthy? (Thank You Ted Calver!)

Blog Entries

Saw restoration – Apple worthy? (Thank You Ted Calver!)

I have been in full tilt saw geek mode the last couple weekends trying to clean up some of the rusty metal hanging in the rafters.

This is a nice, full plate Disston #7 c. 1900-1928. The tote is a total loss and will need to be replaced. Looking through the available lumber in the shop, the two candidates are the Apple and African mahogany you see on the bench – I don't have any beech handy which would also be a good candidate.

10.jpg10.5.jpg

As you know, dry, straight grained Apple of sufficient thickness for saw totes is hard to come by. This Apple came to me courtesy of an incredibly generous gesture by one of our fellow Creekers, Ted Calvers.

A couple years ago after checking with my local lumber suppliers here in the desert of Southern California for Apple without any luck, I inquired here in the creek about sources for Apple to make saw tote repairs. A week later a box showed up on my doorstep crammed full of some of the most beautiful air dried apple I've ever seen. Enclosed was a note from Ted saying he and a good friend had taken down some trees in an apple orchard and sawed up some planks to dry, many of which turned out to be warped, twisted with checks etc. and not big enough to be usable for furniture projects, however he had some pieces that are ideal for sought totes and just sent them to me!

Needless to say I was thrilled, but when I contacted Ted he wouldn't take a dime, said he was just glad I could use them. I can't remember if I sent Ted a saw as a thank you – regardless I should send him one now as this Apple is a rare treat I highly value. I use it sparingly for tote repair, but habe made a complete saw totes from it. I'm sure when I die they'll find this box with a few prized pieces remaining that I couldn't bring myself to use. Thank you again Ted!!!

So please help me decide, should I splurge and use the Apple or go with the mahogany? The African mahogany works easily with hand tools but the rowed grain doesn't always finish well, at least for me. Help me decide and if there's any interest of post some pictures of the tote build.

Thanks, Mike

I hope this isn't taken the wrong way (because I know just how hard it is to come up with anything decent and clear like that from an apple tree), but I'd save it for something where you can use flatsawn apple and not have it threaten the cheeks of the handle cupping some and putting tension on the plate.

Which is probably making you think "it would be extremely hard to find a near quartered or quartersawn piece of apple big enough for a carpenter saw handle".

Yes. Yes it would. I can't imagine the wood waste disston had to get the number of apple handles they had. Someone posted a picture of their wood intake yard last year (or maybe it was on another forum). It it was incredible, and all of the trees were by no means long and tidy looking).

I could be completely wrong about disston's handles, it's hard to see the handles on any of my dirty saws to actually tell the grain direction. If I am totally off base, I couldn't think of a better thing to use a piece of apple for than a saw handle.

Going by the way the handles crack I think David is right about the grain direction on most Diston saws.

Hi All,

First post! Thank you to all of the Moderators that helped me to register, as I messed up more than once trying to become a member!

I was wondering about the grain direction in the handles on my old Disston hand saws, as was brought up above, so I looked at the ones I could get to easily. What I found was that 2 saw had a flat sawn handle, one had the grain going at about a 45 degree angle, and 4 had quarter sawn handles.

I have more old Disstons, but can't get to them easily, and have a few that I had to sand and clean up to the point that the trade mark can not be read any more. At any rate, that is the results on the ones I could check easily.

Regards,

Stew

Most of the old English saws had dead on quarter sawn beech handles. It is easy to see because they almost always have a beautifull rayfleck pattern, the kind you only get when it is exactly qs. I guess they split the wood first.

Mike,
    I'm glad you are finding a use for that apple, and yes you sent me a very nicely sharpened saw as a thank you. If I find any more in my stash I know where to send it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    I see i'm not alone in my belief that Honker's Ale is excellent for tool restoration.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody Kemble View Post
    I see i'm not alone in my belief that Honker's Ale is excellent for tool restoration.
    Good eye!

Last time I had a Goose Island brew was before they had it in bottles. I think Reagan was President.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    I hope this isn't taken the wrong way (because I know just how hard it is to come up with anything decent and clear like that from an apple tree), but I'd save it for something where you can use flatsawn apple and not have it threaten the cheeks of the handle cupping some and putting tension on the plate.

Which is probably making you think "it would be extremely hard to find a near quartered or quartersawn piece of apple big enough for a carpenter saw handle".

Yes. Yes it would. I can't imagine the wood waste disston had to get the number of apple handles they had. Someone posted a picture of their wood intake yard last year (or maybe it was on another forum). It it was incredible, and all of the trees were by no means long and tidy looking).

I could be completely wrong about disston's handles, it's hard to see the handles on any of my dirty saws to actually tell the grain direction. If I am totally off base, I couldn't think of a better thing to use a piece of apple for than a saw handle.

This is certainly on the money. However, I would say use what you have. If the apple is good and dry I would go ahead and use it. Instead of purchasing something else.

The apple wood is going to be a bit difficult to work. It will hold great detail though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Good eye!

Last time I had a Goose Island brew was before they had it in bottles. I think Reagan was President.

jtk
    JK, it's not too late -you gotta love the craft brew era we live in. Bev Mo for the Goose Island is the hot tip here in San Diego. Go for it it- your gate latch alone says you're definitely earned it!

Cheers, Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    JK, it's not too late -you gotta love the craft brew era we live in. Bev Mo for the Goose Island is the hot tip here in San Diego. Go for it it- your gate latch alone says you're definitely earned it!

Cheers, Mike
    I have enjoyed a lot of the craft brew era. Still have a pin from the Island with a goose saying, "Waddle it be?"

I think Buffalo Brewing was one of the first in California. I think I still have a Roaring Rock coaster. They had to change their name because Rolling Rock threatened a lawsuit. They are now Triple Rock.

According to Oregon Craft Beer (http://oregoncraftbeer.org/facts/) Portland, OR has more breweries than any other city in the world. 56 in the city with 76 in the metro area.

I just don't drink as much beer as I used to. But when I do there is a good selection right here in town. It seems the buyer at the super market where we normally shop has streaks. Sometimes you go in and the selection is 25 IPAs. Then in a week or two it is 30 different stouts.

Then there is the speciality beer and wine store. I'll have to head in there and see if the have any of that Chicago beer. There aren't any Bev Mo's up here.

There were a couple of other breweries in Chicago, but Goose Island was my favorite.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)