Thread: Wood veneer Dashboard

Wood veneer Dashboard

I used a beautiful piece of Birds Eye Maple to re-do the dash and console pieces for my antique Fiat, and I'm in need of some advice on a finishing product.

The veneer is glued to MDF for the dash and glove box cover and for the console, 9mm ply. I want to apply a clear gloss finish and buff it to a very high gloss. The question is what should I use.

I have a touch-up spray gun, but I don't know what I should apply. I've done research on Automotive, 2-part clear coats, Ureathanes, Spar Varnish, Marine finishes, etc. ... and all I am now is confused.

I've put in heaps of hours bending, gluing, drilling and smoothing, and now I'm just worried that all of that could be undone with one final wrong choice in a finishing product.

Does anyone have any recommendations that would be helpful, and give me the long-lasting, and beautiful results I'm hoping for? Many thanks for a response.

Since no one has offered up any advice.....

1-866-937-8797 <--- tech line for West Systems.
    Give them a call and see what they say.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Talmadge View Post
    I used a beautiful piece of Birds Eye Maple to re-do the dash and console pieces for my antique Fiat, and I'm in need of some advice on a finishing product.
    Car interiors are done using polyester. Not a home friendly product and I don't really recommend trying it without a professional booth and a respirator. However the
    suggestion on West System could work. For boats epoxy resin is applied, sanded flat and then varnished. That may work but I am not sure how it will hold up on a car
    dashboard. Maybe do a sample piece and drive around with it on the dash for a week or so? Here is a link to a great method of doing the epoxy resin. Good Luck!