Thread: Cigar Tube - Spalted Maple

Cigar Tube - Spalted Maple

I ran across this kit from Bear Tooth Woods, its a large tube for cigars. Have a few people that have asked me about them and decided to give it a try. This one is some spalted maple that I had (lighting is bad in my tent, sorry). Its really pretty cool, but using a 7/8" drill bit is just a hair different than making a slimline pen!

Hope you like it.

cigar tube2.jpgcigar tube1.jpg

very cool!!

Ricc

I like it. Been thinking about making one of those. Did you run into any issues you could advise us about?
    Jim Watkins
    Aliso Viejo, CA.

EPILOG Mini 24 - 45w
    Corel X4; PhotoGrave 3.0
    Nova 1624-44 Lathe

Jim,

From personal experience -

1. Drill the blank and then let it sit for a couple weeks. Blanks of this size, even some kiln dried, and particularly from waxed (wet) wood, will shrink a bit.

2. After drying, re-drill and glue in brass tube.

If you glue the brass tube into a freshly drilled blank, there is a high likelihood that the wood will split (because of shrinkage from drying) a few days after turning to final outside diameter.

That's good advice Bruce - so far 4 days later no cracking .. .fingers crossed! This maple was pretty dry, I'm guessing 8 months + since milling.

The only other things are drilling out with 1/2" bit first then finishing with the 7/8" bit ( I bought the largest size Bear Tooth Woods had). I didnt do that and the blank was getting pretty hot, just a function of me excited to try something new without thinking it completely out first.

My pen mandrel isnt long enough for both halves at the same time so I have to turn one side then the other. I dont really care since turning things relaxes me and I dont really want to hurry.

I have already sold 3 of the 4 kits I bought, so that may be either the beginning of something good, or I have reached my peak? Who knows.

Bear Tooth Woods has donated prizes for the Virginia Woodturners Symposium, thanks.....

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    Bear Tooth Woods has donated prizes for the Virginia Woodturners Symposium, thanks.....
    good people! Was my first time ordering from Earl, wont be the last!