Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dying Before Assembly

Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately I cannot spray, I do not have the room for a booth or I might purchase spray equipment.

>>>> Looking for others opinions on dye not effecting the glue joint strength.

Scott's advise is right on.

Dye stains do not seal the surface of the wood. The wood's ability to absorb the colorant is not affected nor is the wood's ability to be glued with full strength. Pigment stains, water based or oil based, contain a resin (varnish) binder that dries keeping the color pigments attached to the wood. At the same time the sealed wood inhibits wholly or partially the absorption of most adhesives producing a weak glue joint.

So, in simple terms, dye stains will not impede glue strength to any great extent.
    Last edited by Howard Acheson; 06-30-2014 at 10:31 AM.
    Howie.........

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately I cannot spray, I do not have the room for a booth or I might purchase spray equipment.
    I do not have a booth, either...but cheerfully spray. I use water borne products and wear a respirator and eye protection. You don't need a formal booth with all the expensive explosion-proof fans, etc., if you stick with "safer" products. I just use the area in my shop that's between tools.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...