Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: National Park Service Arrowhead

National Park Service Arrowhead

I have someone from the National Park Service asking for a plaque with the National Park Service arrowhead on it.does anyone have this. And then can I legally use it is this for the park itself.
    GCC new mercury II 40 watt
    Corel Draw x5 suite
    All kinds of woodworking/construction junk

Blog Entries
    Good Morning Jim,

I work in IT for the National Park Service in Seattle, WA. I am not with the group that works with what the NPS calls its Graphics Identity Program, but I can give you some good starting info.

The last document I saw on this was a draft of a Director's Order that you can find at this link.
    http://www.nps.gov/policy/DOrders/DO-52D--45-day.pdf

I don't remember seeing a final of this document so I think the draft may still be in effect. If you check out section 5.2.2 you will find the reference that permits the use of the arrowhead for plaques and awards and whatnot.

The office mentioned through the document can give you better guidance and I would recommend asking, but you should be able to do this if it is being requested by an NPS employee as a gift or award for another NPS employee. Typically we give these to employees for retirements and transfers. Many of us will have one for each park we have been in through our careers.

The employee who requested this should have access to all the permissible arrowhead symbols and their graphics files from an intraweb site for the NPS called Inside.nps.gov. They are all located in the Graphics Identity Program section.

In theory, according to that draft, the arrowhead design is not supposed to be tampered with. But to be honest, over the years I have seen tons of variations on it done up for arrowhead gifts. The folks dealing with Graphics Identify could give you better, more current information though and I strongly suggest you speak with them. This is done frequently however for gifts and retirements and should be easy to get info on.

I am not where I have any of this office info right now. But next week if you have difficulty finding the info you need pop me an IM and I will get you in touch with someone who can help you. The person who asked you to do this should be able to get you to the same place as well.

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Nice find Mike.
    ULS M-300 30W, CorelDraw X4

Blog Entries
    Thanks Mike! Saved me some time Monday!

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

You need to be a NPS employee conected to a nps network to download the files.
    GCC new mercury II 40 watt
    Corel Draw x5 suite
    All kinds of woodworking/construction junk

Center for Experimental Nuclear Physics and Astrophysics - University of Washington
    Kern 400W 4'x8' HSE with metal cutting add-on and rotary stage
    2-axis CNC mill, 2 manual mills, 3 lathes, other standard shop tools, . . . and a 7.5 MeV tandem Van de Graaff particle accelerator

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Reinhard View Post
    You need to be a NPS employee conected to a nps network to download the files.
    Mike,

Boooo Hisss hisss! lol

Don't shoot the messenger.

Dave can open it.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Dave,Can you post the black and white one for us or pm it to me ? It is for a park employee .

David ,the use of the arrowhead perpetuates the stereotype of Indians as a war obsessed people. How about changing the
    symbol to the face of Mahatma Ghandi ?!!

It could be that they used the arrowheads to hunt on the land that is now claimed as a National Park

Blog Entries
    Jim,

Sorry for the delay. When I first responded to you I was on a very poor connection and did not have any reasonable way to reach this stuff. I am back at the office now and can help you, though things are a bit zooey.

The Black and white file is available in a Postscript EPS format or a non Postscript TIF. Which would you like?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post
    though things are a bit zooey.
    Dave,

Ummm, aren't *ALL* NPS parks just free range zoos?

<rimshot>

Now, if I happened to find a zip file with all five of these (http://www.nps.gov/hfc/services/identity/arrowheads.cfm) in all formats (PS, TIF, etc) somewhere, I wouldn't object in the least. <whistling innocently>

Blog Entries
    Robert, It seems like the concentration of zoo like characteristics is in my office at the present time. Yeeks!!! Been a long couple of weeks. <grin>

Dave