Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Shaving; Schick Krona

IMHO, the best lather is the least lathery/fluffy. The fluffier and bubblier it is, the less actually contacts the skin, where you need it. I've found that the best lather is when I use very little water and get a thick, almost creamy, layer on my beard. These days I use just a drop of cream on the brush, and then it's onto the shaving soap. I get great results like that and it takes very little water.

I look for a happy medium between the extremes of fluffy stiff peaks and dripping wet because neither does a particularly good job of lubrication. I shoot for a moist, creamy lather that will hold a soft peak (if it doesn't, it's too wet) and rinses off the blade easily (if it doesn't, it's too dry). A bubblier lather needs more lathering until the bubbles are minutely fine.

YMMV depending on the cake/cream/stick that you use.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Pierce View Post
    I've switched to a Merkur safety razor and couldn't be happier. I'm still trying to find the right assortment of stuff to apply in addition, but I'm already well ahead of the multi blade junk selling.
    Cody, I have a Merkur for travel and a vintage razor at home.

It's funny how much better I find the 100 year old technology than the new plastic multiblade disposable razors...........Rod.

Thanks guys for some really interesting reading. It got me interested in trying out my grandpa's old Gillette Super Speed. As far as I have been able to determine, it is a '48-'50 notched Super Speed with no date code. It looks exactly like the on in the attached picture, less the blue wrapped blades. I also have two small blade boxes.

I found some Astra blades and Cremo Cream (Thanks David and John!) and gave it a go. It definitely takes some getting used to compared to the Gillette plastic twin blade disposables or the Sensor Excel, but I like not spending $25 on a pack of refill cartridges. It is a little more difficult to navigate the jaw line, and I've had a little razor burn. Otherwise, it feels like I am getting a closer shave.

Todd
    Attached Images Attached Images

I get some crazy looks when on drill or orders and shave next to other Soldiers in the latrine because I don't use a cream or any shave gel. I haven't used any since 98 when I was broke and couldn't afford it. I didn't notice a difference so I haven't used it since. It's not because I don't have a dense facial hair set, I could rival the Duck Dynasty boys if I grew it out.

I use the Gillette Fusion. I thought the blades were expensive until I did the math on how long they last me. I paid $40 last November at Sam's Club for a 20 pack and still have half of them left, plus my wife uses them to shave her hairy legs. The cost is nil, IME.
    -Lud

I'll revive this one to report on an experiment. I've used Astra blades and Cremo Cream for the last year. I am probably more slightly stingy than most in the quantity of cream and the length of time I use a blade. In any case, I spent $11 on shaving in the last 12 months. Three cents per day. Can't beat that with a stick.