Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whats your favourite handy gadget for your Laser ?

I too use magnets but my go to seems to always be my dial calipers. Seems nothing I buy from the warehouses is "perfect" so I double check (twice and engrave once). I also bought a sheet of galvanized metal to my bed size for the magnets to stick.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

My NH rep loaned me a twin to my ULS once, he had the table covered with black/gold laser-steel for magnet use...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I really like this gear generator program if you like to make gadgets that need gears chains and racks and pinions etc.

Cheers
    Keith
    Universal Laser VLS6.60, Tantillus 3D printer, Electronic design
    edns Group, Mairangi Bay, Auckland, New Zealand

With a loupe , you can see exactly what the laser is doing , for eg you can see of the bi directional firing is out of alignment , you can see the dot or path structure , whether there is a lot of melt , whether the beam is "burning" or vaporising and generally inspect the quality of engraving

Helps you diagnose machine/bream/processing issues

I like the alcan foil tray idea and the dental pick as well as the dish rack thing and the extra LED lights... will implement em

Regards
    Rodney
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Blog Entries
    Rodney,

Thanks!

Are there any documents or publications out that you are aware of that might show what those things look like? I have been a bit surprised so far to note there is very very little in the way of published stuff on lasers given how long they have been around, and how little they have changed relatively over the years. Most of the resources seem to be in forums like this one. Curious.

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

I use golf tees as suggested by Frank Corker, to elevate the work piece from the vector table when cutting. I use it for acrylic so the piece doesn't have the tick marks from the reflection of the beam on the honeycomb surface of the cutting grid. Cheap, disposable, re-useable and does the job.
    Life and death don't bother me. It's that little period of time in between that bothers me.

Epilog Mini-24 40w with Rotary, Flame Polisher, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6, EngraveSoft, Windows 10 64-bit.

I use a jeweler's loupe occasionally, https://www.google.com/search?q=jewe...w=1920&bih=943

I also use a slotted 2 x 6 x 24 to hold engraved metal plates waiting for assembly. this was made on the table saw. I have a couple of other items I use to hold leather, baseball gloves, baseball bats.

I also use a dental pick and more often a draftsman's triangle to align items to the table rulers.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bednar View Post
    I use golf tees as suggested by Frank Corker...
    Sorry for the "off-topic"... but where is Frank - I haven't see him here for a long time?
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

I like my non contact thermometer to check the temps of my water supply hoses/

Having considered this at some length now, I shall have to say that my favourite laser accessory has been my secretary who was kind enough to painstakingly weed out the bits we didn't need in laser cut samples to give away at trade shows.

One year, I recall, we did a show aimed at schools and I designed and cut out hundreds of acrylic Vernier callipers to give away and inspire teachers with what a laser could do. They went down a storm at the show and none of the competition had anything close as good, but my word, they were tedious to assemble and she served me well doing it.

I can tell you that had I a supply of secretaries like that to give away as freebies with every laser I sold, I'd have cleaned up the market for machines forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    Sorry for the "off-topic"... but where is Frank - I haven't see him here for a long time?
    He's been lately watching the World Cup. Soccer, of course, is quite big in the UK.
    Life and death don't bother me. It's that little period of time in between that bothers me.

Epilog Mini-24 40w with Rotary, Flame Polisher, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6, EngraveSoft, Windows 10 64-bit.

++ on the magnets -- the only thing I do different is to epoxy them into a recess in small wood blocks. IMHO it makes them much more useful.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe