Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Fujitsu mini split question answered ASAP please.

Need Fujitsu mini split question answered ASAP please.

Is there any reason why the lines that come out of the indoor unit and down to the outside unit cannot run along the foundation so the outside unit can be placed somewhere except right below where the inside unit is located? The unit is so tall that the windows in the greenhouse room cannot be opened all the way. It just looks like an after thought there. We want to locate the outdoor unit around the corner on another wall. The unit was set today but not charged or electrical hooked up. They are coming back Friday to complete it. I might add that they would have to extend the existing lines that they connected. I do not see this as a problem.
    Last edited by Raymond Fries; 06-16-2014 at 9:51 PM.
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

Raymond,

I have the LG Mini-Split but it is probably similar to yours. My inside unit is about 8' off the floor and it blows directly onto my garage work area. The supply and return go from there up into the attic and then about 80 feet in the attic to where they break through to the outside and drop down through a soffit to the outside unit. The reason this extra distance was required was because the location of the outside unit was specified by local zoning. The only other thing in the vicinity of the inside unit is the condensate drain which is punched into the exterior wall, drops down and drains to the ground outside. There was an extra cost for the unusual supply and return footage, but I had no choice.

Raymond you can download the manual for their systems from their website. I installed my system and got the selling dealer to do his pressure test and pull vacuum before opening valves on condenser unit ( and give his blessing on my work for warranty) about 3 years ago now. From memory I believe there was a minimum of around 16 feet of tubing required to avoid noise (I think) and much longer maximum. You don't have to mount it under the inside unit. I installed mine on a wall mount bracket and raised it about 1-1/2 feet off the ground. On the end wall of the building our laser and other equipment is in. Up high weed eating possess no danger hitting the unit or any lines or wiring to it.

I am a Fujitsu certified installer. The outdoor unit can be mounted anywhere you like it to be. 75' is about the maximum distance between the two units.

Thanks so much for the tips guys. Especially Brad's. Hopefully, it will not get messy when I ask it to be moved today. I kinda feel bad since it is already connected to the copper coming from the inside unit. It was just a surprise and I thought there was not an other option. You see, the original plan was a two head unit to supply the workshop and the greenhouse room. The outdoor unit was to be placed outside the workshop and the line going to the greenhouse room would be installed in the attic. Well, on install day they decided that they could not run the lines in the attic because of access. So the sales guy said he would install two separate units and eat the cost difference because it was their mistake. So the guys just put it under the windows in the greenhouse room. It will be so much nicer around the corner on a wall with no windows. Will let you know what happens.

Enjoy Life...

As long as the total length of run does not exceed the manufacturers specifications.

These units are critically charged so some additional refrigerant will have to be added to account for the additional piping.

Well that was a very stressful phone call. The contractor finally agreed to move the unit. I feel bad because I did say it was OK to put it there but had no idea of the size. Here is what they did:

Fujitsu1.jpg

Nice looking unit but I hate where it is installed. We cannot even open the windows all the way. If I would have known the size and a little time to think about it, I would have chosen the place below before it was placed here. I want it moved to the end of the wall by the tall grass with no windows. That is only about 35' away from where it is now. The A/C unit is in the middle of this wall and you can barely see the electrical for the new mini split for the shop at the far right of the picture. All of the utility stuff is already on this wall so it blends right in.

Fujitsu2.jpg

Why would they have not suggested to put it there to start with? I am tempted to offer to split the moving cost with them because of the misunderstending on both sides. What would you do? Would you have just left it sit there?

The location for one of these is an excellent consideration for anyone considering an installation because this is a TALL unit.
    Last edited by Raymond Fries; 06-17-2014 at 4:33 PM. Reason: typo

Enjoy Life...

When we bid jobs, we try to stay competitive with the next guy. They guys were probably told to install it as easy as possible. After seeing your pics of the unit, I feel that that is an unacceptable spot to put it. You are the one that has to live with it. Don't feel bad about making them move it. I can assure you they had some cushion in there price. They just won't have quite as much profit in the job. A happy customer is a good profit in itself.

Brad,

the plastic covering that runs down the outside of the house to cover the copper lines currently stops like halfway between the bottom of the windows and the bottom of the siding on the house. Should this be replaced so that the plastic covering extends to the bottom of the siding? is it ok for the tubes with the insulation to run around the house, or, should this plastic covering be ran to the moved unit as well?

I just want a good and nice looking install even if it comes to paying more because it was not in the original quote.

thanks so much for your tips.

Enjoy Life...

Why is the unit elevated like that?

Why not just sitting on the pad? That might provide clearance for the window to open.

Moving the unit requires power and control wiring to go around one inside and two outside corners as well as the refrigerant piping. That would be less attractive than the current position in my opinion.

The line sets can be installed without the channel. It is just to make the install look good. The unit is elevated because it is a heat pump. The snow stands let the water run out, in defrost mode in the winter.

I note the explanation for the elevation of the outside unit. In my opinion that is not a very attractive. Isn't there some other way to deal with the defrost mode in winter?

I have attached a photo of our outside unit. FYI, it is 32 inches tall.

photo.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

I agree that it is not the most attractive up on the cones. Your install looks way more professional. The installers said it needed to be up because of the snow. We are planning on planting low growing plants like maybe some hostas to hide it.

I am just glad it is getting moved from under the windows to the side of the house. I can live with hiding the cones and extra space with plants.

Enjoy Life...

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Adams View Post
    The line sets can be installed without the channel. It is just to make the install look good. The unit is elevated because it is a heat pump. The snow stands let the water run out, in defrost mode in the winter.
    We've installed hundreds of heat pump mini splits every year and never elevated a single one. Reverse cycle refrigeration is not efficient and typically does not run in mechanical heat when the temperature is cold enough for snow. This ambient temperature point is called the "balance point" and in the northeast U.S. is about 35 degrees. Below that point electric supplemental heat is needed.
    To simplify, if it's snowing the compressor ain't running. Again, no reason for that unit elevation.

We were told that this is a new inverter technology and it is efficient down to minus 25 degrees and our room would be just fine all winter.

Enjoy Life...