Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shop made tools forum - thoughts about moving the related threads from here?

If I'm understanding the discussion correctly, it sounds like the genesis of the home made tools subforum was a desire to more easily find topics dedicated to home made tools.

Assuming this is true, I feel like this is a perfect instance where tags could be used. The forum has the ability to search by tags (if you click on advanced search), and I wonder if we could achieve the findability (yeah, not a real word, but it gets the point across) of having a subforum for those who desired it but still retain the actual topic in the forum where they best fit (ie handtools here in Neander, jigs in the General forum, etc.). Obviously this would depend upon the initial thread poster selecting a tag, but I think this would achieve what everybody wants (hopefully)

EDIT - I just realized that it doesn't have to be the initial poster who adds tags, anybody can add up to 2. So, this kind of negates one of the negatives I mentioned above.
    Last edited by Adrian Ponik; 06-15-2014 at 8:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by allen long View Post
    It is unfortunate there is often a misconception that passion for the forum must be based solely on chiming in on every subject multiple times -- that listening / following the wisdom of so many in the forum on a frequent basis is not considered having passion for the group. There are many in the world following the forum who are too timid to post or who can be intimidated by either the awesome talent of many in the group, or occasionally the tone. Of course I have been called many things, but timid is not one of them. The most hurtful being called an "infrequent poster" In this case, it is the truth hurts and I will never be able to post sufficiently to be one of the cool kids!
    I couldn't agree more. I spend close to an hour a day during the week on the forum, but don't post very often. I Have learned so much. I guess I just need to speak up more.

3. the only way I can see that making sense isnt AFAIK supported in the forum software. that would be to allow a thread to display in more than one forum. that way someone who just wanted to read about homemade tools and jigs could go to that forum and read both the hand and power tool homebrew threads and nothing else, and the power tool homebrew threads would also show up in their respective fora, the hand tool homebrew threads would also show up here, etc.

Blog Entries
    It is unfortunate there is often a misconception that passion for the forum must be based solely on chiming in on every subject multiple times -- that listening / following the wisdom of so many in the forum on a frequent basis is not considered having passion for the group. There are many in the world following the forum who are too timid to post or who can be intimidated by either the awesome talent of many in the group, or occasionally the tone. Of course I have been called many things, but timid is not one of them. The most hurtful being called an "infrequent poster" In this case, it is the truth hurts and I will never be able to post sufficiently to be one of the cool kids!
    I do not think the "infrequent poster" was intended to be name calling.

It was someone wondering how a new forum came at the request of one person.

As one person who has suggested a few new things I know how it can happen.

There is overlap with some of the forums. For now I think we can keep our neander tool builds here and let the power tool folks show of their shop made stuff.

Maybe a sojourn over there every once in awhile might give me ideas for things to adapt for hand tool use.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by allen long View Post
    It is unfortunate there is often a misconception that passion for the forum must be based solely on chiming in on every subject multiple times -- that listening / following the wisdom of so many in the forum on a frequent basis is not considered having passion for the group.
    I don't know who has that misconception. I definitely don't think frequent posting correlates with passion, knowledge, experience, or anything else useful.

But anyway, you seem to have acknowledged my main point, and I appreciate that.

Frequent posting hopefully correlates with adding to the content available for consumption here. If I were Allen, I might be sensitive about being seen as a person who contributes little content, but wants to steer how content is sorted here. It's an interesting question really: Do content generators have more ownership of the forum than the lurkers who far outnumber them and contribute only their attention to the content? If I was a lurker, I would probably be in favor of whatever made the content generators the most happy and inspired the highest volume of high quality entries for my consumption.

Just posted a shop built Skewed Rebate plane over there. Kind of testing the waters? Maybe we should post one now and then, just to keep things even with the Darkside?

Sean I am not sure how much more contrite I could be. My whole intent was based not on steering content, but rather having been so impressed and excited about the tools I have seen made here I wanted them showcased in a a place that would give them them the prominence they deserve. Talk about a rough crowd that immediately assumes the worst in a person.

Many regards . . . Allen
    No, the sky is not falling - just chunks of it are.

For what it is worth, the idea of a Shop Made Hand Tool forum is a nice idea. Sometimes we get stuck in our ways and need a jog to broaden our mental vista. It is not a forum that appeals to me on SMC, however, because I think that we have a nice mix here of building and using handtools on this forum. There is a good amount of theory and practical information, some days more of one than another, but overall most topics gets a decent airing.

I can see, instead, a section to post shop made tools as a resource section. Then we would definitely need to separate it into power- and hand tools as so much about using power tools requires a jig, and the hand tools would get lost in a forum where powertool jigs dominate.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I was very excited to see the new forum for Shop Made Tools and Machines. I am very interested in making tools or machines that will enhance my workshop experience.

Allen.... I hope you don't let the wet blankets chill your enthusiasm.... I think it is a great idea!

Lornie

I do not like the idea of a separate forum. Personally, I'd rather see the new forum go away.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

This is a solution in search of a problem.

I hope the shop made tools forum fills up with stuff that makes work for power toolers easier.

I also hope that all of the shop made hand tool stuff stays in this forum so that we can discuss the aspects of how mortises, abutments, mouths, etc are cut and how they impact the performance of a good working plane - which is something FAR beyond what most power toolers will be able to tolerate or contribute to. It would be like me (who views power tools as coarse work items) trying to go up and tell someone what to do with a multirouter. I have no idea. I think they're interesting machines, but that forum doesn't need me saying "that's great" or "really neat" pat on the back type posts on stuff I don't know much about.

If I make a mediocre tool, or even if I get lucky and make a good one, I would like the discussion to center around that tool and the very fine details about it - the things that actually make it worth making - and discuss and field questions and pose questions to others that are very on point.

It's fine with me if other people want to put their tool making threads in such a forum, but it should be up to the discretion of the original poster about where their thread ends up. If an OP later wants a thread moved to the tool making forum, they can request to have that done. The moderators shouldn't be making that decision for us.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    For what it is worth, the idea of a Shop Made Hand Tool forum is a nice idea. Sometimes we get stuck in our ways and need a jog to broaden our mental vista. It is not a forum that appeals to me on SMC, however, because I think that we have a nice mix here of building and using handtools on this forum. There is a good amount of theory and practical information, some days more of one than another, but overall most topics gets a decent airing.

I can see, instead, a section to post shop made tools as a resource section. Then we would definitely need to separate it into power- and hand tools as so much about using power tools requires a jig, and the hand tools would get lost in a forum where powertool jigs dominate.

Regards from Perth

Derek

That is how I was looking at it, being the only one not totally against the idea sometimes one is just looking for insperation and a shop made tool area is just the place for that. with that said I would be quite upset if it effected this forum negetivly in any way.

I think you are reading something into my post that isn't there. I am making no judgment one way or the other. And was responding to Steve.
    Last edited by Sean Hughto; 06-16-2014 at 10:21 AM.