Thread: Need help appraising hand tools... Auction is Sunday

Need help appraising hand tools... Auction is Sunday

An acquantaince of mine is in charge of liquidating his family's lumber yard tools. This is a lumber yard that has been closed for over 25 years. When the business was closed all the hand tools went into a one of the owners personal woodworking workshop. "In the old days" the lumber yards around here had there own carpenters and the lumber yard owners supplied all the tools.

So with that said, they have a boat load of chisels (Stanley, Buck Bros.), planes (stanley), Braces, hand saws etc.

My acquantaince has asked me to help value these tools. Where is a good (besides you all here at SMC ) to find the value for these tools?

These tools will go on auction in about 3 weeks.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks Joe
    Last edited by Joe Mioux; 07-14-2005 at 8:52 PM.

The standard price guide for Stanley tools is John Walter's"Antique and Collectible Stanley Tools" However, the latest edition is out of print, and will set you back a fair amount if you find one.
    For everything else, "The Antique Tool Collector's Guide to Value" by Ronald S. Barlow will help.
    If you post photos and specific information on the tools (model number and condition) some of us here can help you.
    You can also try to find the same type tool on eBay and try to compare condition to estimate a value.
    Good luck with them!
    Rick
    Last edited by Rick Whitehead; 06-29-2005 at 11:49 PM. Reason: typo

Please post the auction date and exact location when you can. If possible I would like to attend.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Generally--unless there is something very special about the Stanley planes(read very old) the #4 $30-60, #5 30- 85. #6 , 30 - 85, #7, 30-85, #8 $60-115.
    Chisels--Buck 15 -45 $ depending on type and condition
    Stanley--non Everlasts--same as Buck--Everlasts--- $50 and way up depending on condition and how crazy e-bay is that day.
    But to be fair and give a good value asssesment we would really need to know type, model and have pictures.
    Best regards
    Ben

For anyone interested.... The auction will be held Sunday, July 17 starting at 12:30. There are quite a few hand tools, chisels, planes etc. However, there is alot of other items such as crocks, glassware, furniture, etc. I will be posting handtools tomorrow night, hopefully.

FWIW: I am only posting this as a favor to my friend. I have no other affiliation to this auction.

JOe

PS: as far as directions: Approximately, 18 miles south (on IL route 127) of I-70 at the Greenville IL exit. The auction barn is on the west side of Route 127 and can be seen from the highway. The name is Carlyle Auction Barn.
    Last edited by Joe Mioux; 07-14-2005 at 8:11 PM.

Hi Joe. Go over to WoodNet forums and post this question in the handtools forum. There are a lot of crazies over there. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Mc Mahon
    Hi Joe. Go over to WoodNet forums and post this question in the handtools forum. There are a lot of crazies over there. Peter
    I represent that remark.
    Someone said the real test of a craftsman is his ability to recover from his mistakes. I'm practicing real hard for that test.