Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thinking about dipping my toe in the green pool..... should I?

I guess if you factor in the fact that you were going to buy the tool anyway, the extra 10% makes a difference. In my case the 10% was applied to not only the domino, but the domino assortment and the dust extractor. Savings were on he order of $200. The tools are expensive and the $200 I got to keep makes it a little less obnoxious.

The tools are expensive and the $200 I got to keep makes it a little less obnoxious.
    Actually - the joy of using a top shelf tool more than makes up for the expense.

Two things in my shop always bring a "warm fuzzy" feeling to me every time I use them.

One is my Festool TS55EQ track saw and the other is my Starrett combination square.
    (Actually - three - every time I use my Kraig pocket hole jig I marvel at how well it works and how easy it makes things go together)

There's just something about using a tool that, if what you're trying to do with it doesn't work out as planned, you know the tool isn't to blame.
    It's hard to put it into words, but, IMHO, that sort of confidence in your equipment makes you a better craftsman.
    Accuracy and repeatability are "built ins" with good equipment & knowing that will instill confidence in you.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I live in the south but I'm from the north.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post

Mike
    Yes it can for either plywood or solid lumber. I would say that if plywood is the primary material though, the biscuit jointer is more than suited for the job, especially since it was designed for that application. The Biscuit Jointer gets a lot of negative attention these days, but used for intended purpose, plywood carcass construction, it is a very valuable tool
    The Domino is a floating tenon system. Anywhere a traditional M&T joint would be the correct joint, the Domino can perform that task with a floating tenon. The tenons are hardwood, so the joint strength should be the same as using hardwoods.
    There are some M&T joints it won't replicate, a Foxtail, or wedge, or a through M&T for example
    I've had a biscuit jointer for over 25 years and this is the first time I have heard its intended use was for plywood. I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. You may have missed the many articles Fine Woodworking has done on the jointer. One was a standard dining chair.

Don

I live in the south but I'm from the north.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac Cambra View Post
    I guess if you factor in the fact that you were going to buy the tool anyway, the extra 10% makes a difference. In my case the 10% was applied to not only the domino, but the domino assortment and the dust extractor. Savings were on he order of $200. The tools are expensive and the $200 I got to keep makes it a little less obnoxious.
    Don't forget the exchange rate robs twenty six cents of every dollar spent. That's more than $180 on the Dom. Ouch!

Don

The fact that the Domino is also a somewhat "unique" tool also raises the appeal. Enjoy your new tool!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Butts View Post
    Drink the kool-Aid
    Don't drink the kool-aid.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.