Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about dipping my toe in the green pool..... should I?

Thinking about dipping my toe in the green pool..... should I?

I have been driving myself nuts, jones-ing more like it. This Festool sale on Domino and Domino accessories has me going crazy. I am trying to decide whether or not I should go green....?

Guys tell me if its worth it or not? I gotta fever and something is going to break.

Wise people, advice please...

Thanks

Drink the kool-Aid

Domino is worth dipping into the green.

I own the smaller D500 model. Sized best for most furniture type projects. Expensive, fast, well built.
    Sure you can do almost all the same functions with a dowel rig like the DowelMax I own or the Jessem version but much slower to use.
    Depends upon your projects, the volume of work, funds available.
    For me, I find I get better results with the DowelMax and since I am a hobbiest, time is not a huge factor. The difference is when using either tool to do edge joining. I find it very difficult to get a nice smooth joint with the Domino and that is with lots of practice and attending the Festool class. With the DowelMax there is just the slightest variance in height between boards that is easily sanded out while the Domino just gives results in my hands that are unacceptable for that use. The Domino gets used for other tasks but edge joining gets the dowels.

Domino is definitely a worthwhile investment. I have many Festools but Domino and the track saw are the ones that I consider totally worth the price tag. The rest I could have gone with other brands without too much compromise.

Domino?

Yes, get the domino. It will simplify all your joinery. But don't do it without a good vacuum--Festool or other brand. without good suction, debris is not cleared and bit overheating or breakage is probable at least on the smaller domino machine.

I have had Jessem dowel jig (both types) and they work quite well. I am in the middle of building a full house including cabinets for kitchen + 5.5 bathrooms and lots of other projects and went and bought the Domino. It is much faster than dowel jigs. I think it is not as accurate but accurate enough for most works.
    It is very well built machine. Since I bought it I rarely use dowels at all...

Dive in brother, the water's fine. The Domino is a great first dip. I don't think you'll regret it, and at 10% off, now is as good of a time as any.

Besides, if you don't like it or can't justify it for your work, you can probably sell it for very close to what you paid for it. Both models are very well-engineered, and a joy to use.

Do it,they have a 30 day return policy.If you don't like it,you can return it for a full refund with no questions asked.

The Domino sets are easy to resell, if you don't use them.

I doubt such a tool will expand your skillset, but
    it will make set up and joinery easier.

Perhaps that would translate into more finished projects.

I like the idea of the Domino, but dislike the reliance on proprietary tenons.
    The money, as with modern razors, is in the "disposable" parts that can't be reused.

I have been driving myself nuts, jones-ing more like it. This Festool sale on Domino and Domino accessories has me going crazy. I am trying to decide whether or not I should go green....?

Guys tell me if its worth it or not? I gotta fever and something is going to break.
    IMHO - if you're at the "considering it stage", you've already past the point of no return.

You might as well jump in with both feet.

(I'm really only half kidding)...

I went through much of the same thought process with the track saw. Finally one day when cutting a sheet of plywood w/my shop made jig, the plywood pinched the blade - jammed - and tore up the edge. Scratch one piece of plywood, that, at the time had been a real pain in the neck to drag home. I was between vans and had to tie it to the roof of my Accord and drive it home in a rain storm.
    That was the last straw. I unplugged the circular saw, jumped in the car and went straight to Hartville Hdw. and picked up a Festool TS55EQ.

IMHO - if you've reached the point where you have to ask if it's worth it - you've already determined you can use it.
    Go for it!
    As mentioned, you have 30 days no questions asked - and - resale value of Festool is very high.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Who am I kidding, I was already wearing the swimming trunks. The vacuum is also 10% off so I was going to get that also.

I was just afraid that once I was in there would be no turning back - a Festool zealot in the making.

I will order it and thank the wife for the great early B-day gifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I like the idea of the Domino, but dislike the reliance on proprietary tenons.
    The money, as with modern razors, is in the "disposable" parts that can't be reused.
    Actually, you can make yours if you think they are too expensive without too much effort. I had been doing loose tenon joinery even before Domino so did that before. However, after the Domino, I found the price of the consumables not so much to consider making my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Cambra View Post

Wise people, advice please...

Thanks
    Get it. It works great at my house. I don't know that it's the right thing for *every* project but it sure is handy on plenty of them. But - get a vac too. With one of their vacs attached it gets ALL of the chips it cuts. All. That's great!

Jumped feet first into the green pool years ago... Grizzly green everywhere