Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about dipping my toe in the green pool..... should I?

The Domino is the one Festool product I don't currently own that I really want to own...and will own when I have the funds to procure it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am in, just placed the order for the Domino set , Domino assortment and cutters plus the CT48 dust extractor. Can't feel the temp of the pool yet because sticker shock has me numb. With the extractor out of the way the barrier to other tools won't be as hard to swallow.

I will let you know if my green conversion is going to spread.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Cambra View Post
    I am in, just placed the order for the Domino set , Domino assortment and cutters plus the CT48 dust extractor. Can't feel the temp of the pool yet because sticker shock has me numb. With the extractor out of the way the barrier to other tools won't be as hard to swallow.

I will let you know if my green conversion is going to spread.
    Did you go with the small or big one?

Just a FYI if you wanted to reduce sticker shock a bit - CMT makes bits for the Domino that cost about half as much. They're pretty much indistinguishable as far as I can tell in my own hands and based on what I have heard form others.

The smaller one, the DF 500 Q set, it has some of the guide accessories. I also got the tenon kit with the cutter set. Thanks for the CMT pointer, I will keep that in mind when I need replacements.

I got the 500 a few months back. There's a learning curve, but I'm finding it very useful. The ability to put a mortise right in the middle of a large panel with perfect alignment is pretty cool. I recommend the videos by Half-Inch Shy.

Also, although you already spent for the vacuum, for any others thinking of the domino, I find that my regular shop vac does just fine. I cobbled together an attachment hose with some old shop vac hose and some adapter I had sitting around the shop.

Ken

Does the domino replace biscuits in large panel glue-ups? If so, other than a possible need for increased strength, why? I have a PC biscuit cutter that is brand new (have had a long time but was out of woodworking due to health issue) and now that I'm able to get back into the shop, had expected to learn to use it. Not that I am flush with enough Benjamins to go green, but curious anyway....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cozad View Post
    Does the domino replace biscuits in large panel glue-ups? If so, other than a possible need for increased strength, why? I have a PC biscuit cutter that is brand new (have had a long time but was out of woodworking due to health issue) and now that I'm able to get back into the shop, had expected to learn to use it. Not that I am flush with enough Benjamins to go green, but curious anyway....
    Mike
    Yes it can for either plywood or solid lumber. I would say that if plywood is the primary material though, the biscuit jointer is more than suited for the job, especially since it was designed for that application. The Biscuit Jointer gets a lot of negative attention these days, but used for intended purpose, plywood carcass construction, it is a very valuable tool
    The Domino is a floating tenon system. Anywhere a traditional M&T joint would be the correct joint, the Domino can perform that task with a floating tenon. The tenons are hardwood, so the joint strength should be the same as using hardwoods.
    There are some M&T joints it won't replicate, a Foxtail, or wedge, or a through M&T for example
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    OK, set the wallet down and slowly back away from the Kool Aid...
    NOW you tell me...

If you can, sip the Green, don't gulp. I have the track saw and a sander. Many people spend thousands and thousands on the Green when Festool precision isn't needed with some tools. Good luck with sipping.

I think anyone that owns a domino cutter should invest in a domiplate. It will eliminate any misalignment issues using the domino the standard way.Any offsets in joints are usually from fence drift or flex, assuming there was no operator error.

Don't get me wrong, I love all my Festool gear. The Domino is an especially well engineered and useful tool. But their sales are hardly enough to inspire me to move on a purchase. Really, is $740 that much more enticing than $820?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Mike
    Yes it can for either plywood or solid lumber. I would say that if plywood is the primary material though, the biscuit jointer is more than suited for the job, especially since it was designed for that application. The Biscuit Jointer gets a lot of negative attention these days, but used for intended purpose, plywood carcass construction, it is a very valuable tool
    The Domino is a floating tenon system. Anywhere a traditional M&T joint would be the correct joint, the Domino can perform that task with a floating tenon. The tenons are hardwood, so the joint strength should be the same as using hardwoods.
    There are some M&T joints it won't replicate, a Foxtail, or wedge, or a through M&T for example
    Thanks for the information. So then is the real draw to the domino system just the speed savings over traditional M&T joinery? Unfortunately (or for my wallet, fortunately) I am with Johnny in his observation that the price drop doesn't seem large enough to skip right out and get one. Especially with one previous comment that you need the dust extractor to go with it. Am I right that its north of $1400 for both?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cozad View Post
    Thanks for the information. So then is the real draw to the domino system just the speed savings over traditional M&T joinery? Unfortunately (or for my wallet, fortunately) I am with Johnny in his observation that the price drop doesn't seem large enough to skip right out and get one. Especially with one previous comment that you need the dust extractor to go with it. Am I right that its north of $1400 for both?
    You pretty much NEED a dust extractor to use a Domino. One side effect to the huge amount of chips created QUICKLY in a small mortise and a bit moving from side to side is that you need to get those chips out or risk breaking a bit. A standard shop vac works almost as well as a Festool Vac. At minimum you can just put an adapter on your existing big shop vac hose but that will be a bit hard to use. A step up is add a Bosch VAC005 hose for $35 - that will fit a normal shop vac and connect to most Festool tools. A step above that is add an iVac switch so the shop vac turns on with the tool. The next step up is a Festool, Fein, Bosch, Makita, Dewalt, etc. dust extractor that add features. Some of these are variable suction for use with sanders, HEPA filters for hazardous materials, quieter for more pleasant operation, etc.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 06-14-2014 at 12:25 PM.

Thanks guys for all of the responses. Somehow I knew that most of the response would support a new tool acquisition. I believe in this case its because the tool is a good one, but then again I have to admit I am a tool addict and asking a bunch of other similarly afflicted guys if I should get another tool, somehow I knew what the responses would be.

Yes, by all means GET A DOMINO! I have the 500 and love it but now I want the 700 (XL) model, too, for larger projects like beds, tables, and outdoor furniture! Has totally changed the way I think about joinery.

- Jason

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I love all my Festool gear. The Domino is an especially well engineered and useful tool. But their sales are hardly enough to inspire me to move on a purchase. Really, is $740 that much more enticing than $820?