Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Does a drill press need to be bolted down?

I picked up my drill press by myself when moving it but I shouldn't have. It has to weigh over 200 lbs. But if I can pick it up, I could move it off me. I know there are bigger drill presses but most people wouldn't have them in their home shop. I still say a cable to the wall or ceiling makes more sense than bolts into the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    It has to weigh over 200 lbs. But if I can pick it up, I could move it off me.
    I would be less worried about getting a drill press off me, and more worried about the damage it would do getting on me in the first place. Not saying that it ever would, but if a 200 lb. drill press fell over and you somehow got your fingers between the table and the floor, it would surely sever them.

My shop is constantly evolving, so I don't bolt anything to the floor. I usually build a hefty base to add stability to the top-heavy machines and allow me to move them either on wheels or with a pallet truck, like this one I built for my 7.5hp air compressor:

IMG_1577 copy.jpg

My shop is 260 sq. Ft. With more tools in that small of space than I should have, I move my tools around occasionally to make it look like there's more room. I've got a bench top Ryobi dp, & I had it sitting on the bench, not bolted down, for years. Then I finally constructed a stand for it, & it is now bolted to that stand. I've got ballast on a shelf under the dp to keep in place.