Thread: Help identify voltage and model in a Shaper dual voltage

Help identify voltage and model in a Shaper dual voltage

Is any of you familiar with this shaper? I recently bought it but can not find anywhere on it the model number and maker. The guy that sold it to me told me was a 2hp model and there is clearly a 220volt label on it but it has a dual voltage (1.5 hp at 115 and 2 hp at 230volt). I would like to find a manual and figure it out if the shaper is indeed hooked up for 230 or 115v. I noticed that it is using a plug with the 110volt 20A written on it. Not sure why. how do I find the voltage is using?
    thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JOSEPH RESTA; 06-10-2014 at 4:13 PM. Reason: added pictures

That is indeed a 120v 20Amp plug. That doesn't mean someone didn't wire it and a matching receptacle for 240V. Not a good idea, of course. Is there a wiring diagram, or make and model on the motor itself?

Reliant DD34 and and Dayton 2x440x switch

I found that the model is Reliant DD34 and uses a Dayton 2x440x switch drum. Attaching some pictures of the switch diagram and connections.

Doesn't the motor have a plate/sticker indicating it's electrical information? If the plate indicates more than one voltage, there's usually a small wiring schematic or diagram to show how you can hook up to either the lower or the higher voltage. Sometimes, the information is under the cover where the power cord enters the motor. Bear in mind, the plug looks like an aftermarket installation and oftentimes the original user don't install the proper plug for the voltage and amperage the machine requires.

Hi Duane,
    I was just uploading some pictures hope they help. There is a good chance that the plug was used just because available but still on a 220v line. There were other 220v machine used at the woodworking shop where I bought it from. I tried to contact the owner but no luck so far.
    Last edited by JOSEPH RESTA; 06-10-2014 at 4:15 PM.

I removed the cover where the power cord enters the motor. I only see a bunch of wires no diagram. I took a picture of the wires. searching for the manual of this Dayton 2x440x now..

Plug it into 120 volts and turn it on. If the motor is wired for 220-240 volts, either it won't spin up or it will spin up slower than expected with no power. If it struggles to take off, shut it off.

John

Check the motor plate - should have a high and low voltage diagram on it. Then map out the wires to the diagram. Draw it out on paper.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

See those numbers on the wires in the box? Those correspond to a diagram which is usually somewhere on the motor.

Sometimes the diagram (if not on the motor plate) is on a plate/sticker on the inside of the cover that you took off the motor to expose the wires. Just thought I'd mention that on the off chance you set the cover inside-down on your workbench without looking there.