Thread: PIP: DRI handscrew kit build

Cool PIP: DRI handscrew kit build

Amongst the tools in the mail yesterday, was a Kit. From DRI Industries. Seems all the metal parts need to make one handscrew is in a bag. It is suppose to be for a 12" handscrew clamp. IMAG0086.jpg One page, printing on both sides, was included. A bit hard to read, too. I cut the jaws to shape, and drilled the first set of holes. Found out that the Forstner bit was a bit dull, got accused of "Burning Popcorn" down in the shop. Just a wee bit smokey..

So, here is a mock upIMAG0087.jpgHoles for the pivot pins are done. Will be drilling the slots next. Handle I guess get spun onto the rods? Then they have a split pin to be added to the handle. That means drilling through the ferrel, and through the threaded rod? This might get the be fun.... Jaws are Red Oak, since I do have a 2x4 to cut things for this project, why not use the Red Oak 2x?

Sitting around waiting on the oil finish to dryIMAG0087.jpgMight take a while...

Blog Entries
    I built a clamp from one of those kits years ago. It may have been a Jorgenson, about a 3". I wish it was a larger size. If I saw some of the kits cheap enough at a yard sale or something I would likely grab them.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have 3 or 4 handscrews that need new wood. sort of a reverse kit, I guess.

Horror of horrors, I bought a couple of these at (forgive me) Harbor Freight. Cost less than any kit would have, counting my time in the calculation. If the wood parts beak, I have a DIY clamp build kit.

So far they work great.

When I decide to make a set with wood threads, it's a different story.

BTW, anyone have an opinion of the Beall threading kits?

-- Steve.