Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finished Sofa table (pics)

Finished Sofa table (pics)

Hey all,

Just put the knobs on the sofa table I made for my daughter. It matches a pair of lamp tables I made for her last year.

Top, drawer fronts and bottoms are cherry. The rest is white birch painted with a 50/50 mix of pumpkin and white milk paint fromThe Old Fashoned Milk Paint Company. I kinda labored over the knobs and settled for brass. I would have liked cherry but coun't find any locally. Once I get my lathe chisels and practice some, I may turn my own.

Construction is mortise and tenon joints and tapered legs.

Last edited by Bill Esposito; 05-24-2003 at 8:58 AM.
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

Bill,,that is a great looking table,,,the colors work well together,,,
    I think the knobs look good they stand out in a good way,,,,,
    Mike

Thumbs up

Bill,

That's one great looking table. The colors go well together. I'm sure your daughter will be very pleased.
    Life Sure Is Great! Enjoy It.

Wonderful job, Bill. That's a handsome table. I'm sure you'll get "orders" for additional matching pieces...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thumbs up Nice work Bill

Love those cherry tops!!!

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Sofa Table

Bill,

Great job on the table. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Lookin' GOOD!

That is one awesome table Bill! I really like the proportions and the lines are classic as well. The Cherry and Milk Paint really work well together. I just can't get enough of Cherry furniture..........if I had only one wood to work, my choice would be Cherry. Definitely an heirloom, and I'll bet your daughter is loving those tables. You just can't buy them like that in the store! Great work, excellent design and fantastic execution. Thanks so much for sharing the photo's with us!

Nice Work

Hi Bill,

I like what you did here. the work looks great!

I have to say about a year ago I tried the same with some questions, would the cherry look good against the milk paint, well like yours mine worked out well too.

Great design and it looks like it's a keeper,
    Take care,
    Jim

Bill That is one georgous table . Is that your own design or did you get the plans somewhere, i think my mom would just love to have one of those.
    Bud Duffy Punkinhook Ranch

Nice job Bill!
    I'm not a painted wood fan but man that looks nice. Nice design and I love how the cherry works in it. You and that Shaver guy may inspire me to try something some day.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Thanks all for the kind words.

Cherry is also my favorite wood. Cherry was traditioanlly used with a green milk paint both here and in England and in fact I am planing a few pieces for my house utilizing that color scheme. My New Hampshire house dates back to 1767 so this style of furniture fits well in it.

Bud, it's my own design...kinda design as you go, but it's quite simple and I'd be glad to share the details if you'd like.

Milk paint is pretty cool as well and to be honest the reason I first used it was that I didnt want to buy expensive wood for the base, $2/bf birch beats $6/bf foot cherry any day Luckily The Old Fashoned Milk Paint Company is almost on my way home for work and when I stopped there one day to pick out my first batch of paint I was shocked. Their office is completely painted with milk paint...everything from the floors, walls, ceilings, to the furniture. Because there are so many ways you can finish milk paint, you can incorporate it into many designs. In some cases it looks like a stain, a wash, a high gloss paint, as well as the traditional rough finish. Also because it comes in powder form, you can easily mix the colors to creat your own.
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

Bill-
    Very nice!!! I've got to admit I was a little doubtful when I saw "pumpkin milk paint" and "cherry" together but you have shown that it works very well together.

While at a friends house this week I noticed they have a less than stylish sofa table and I think this design has given me inspiration to try one for them.

Thanks for posting the pics!
    Mark

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
    Will Rogers

Originally posted by Mark Hulette
    Bill-
    Very nice!!! I've got to admit I was a little doubtful when I saw "pumpkin milk paint" and "cherry" together but you have shown that it works very well together.
    Mark, heheh, you and me both.

I just posted another pic in the beginning of the thread of the drawer joinery made with the Woodhaven jig.
    Bill Esposito

Took another look Bill

after your last post and noticed the flooring in that room .... gotta be 10" boards ... I really like that ... is it oak or pine? Can't really tell ???

Re: Took another look Bill

Originally posted by Ken Wright
    after your last post and noticed the flooring in that room .... gotta be 10" boards ... I really like that ... is it oak or pine? Can't really tell ???
    Beat up pine, I gotta redo it this summer. Dogs take a toll on soft pine flooring.
    Bill Esposito