Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epilog problems (windows 8.1 pro)

Epilog problems (windows 8.1 pro)

Aloha All,

Troubles out here on Kauai with out laser cutter! I have been working on this for three days with no luck.

My Epolog Fusion 32 worked great on windows 7 over both ethernet and USB. I upgraded to Windows 8.1 pro and now cannot for the life of me get the Epilog set up to print over ethernet. I have tried using the drivers and job manager from the CD, as well as the new Beta drivers and manager from the Epilog Site.

Does anyone else have trouble with windows 8.1 and a ethernet connection to their Epilog?

Any guidance would be appreciated

-Firelight

Did you upgrade or do a fresh install?

Can you ping the laser from the W8 box?

If not, can you ping the laser from another box?

How is the laser connected to the network?

Are you using wired or wireless for the laser/computer?

Have you installed all updates for W8?

Are there any "known issues" for printing (in general) or with epilog drivers?

Have you contacted Epilog Tech Support?
    ULS M-300 30W, CorelDraw X4

Did you upgrade or do a fresh install?

-Yes, I have tried repairing my install of windows 8.1 first, no luck, so i did a fresh install from a USB

Can you ping the laser from the W8 box?

-no, it seems my box will not talk to the printer at all, even after repeatedly following not only Epilogs instruction, but other windows 8 ethernet printer setup guides

If not, can you ping the laser from another box?

-Yes, my laptop works without any troubles. however, my laptop is running windows 7. I am scared to upgrade now.

How is the laser connected to the network?

-we have tried three different ways, first Ethernet directly to the epilog, secondly ethernet to router, and ethernet from router to epilog. finally we tried using going through the working connection on the laptop as a network printer. no luck.

Are you using wired or wireless for the laser/computer?

-we have tried both, wired and wireless

Have you installed all updates for W8?

-Yes, fresh install with all updates

Are there any "known issues" for printing (in general) or with epilog drivers?

-No

Have you contacted Epilog Tech Support?

-Yes... they spoke to us today, will be in touch, just hoping to be back up and running before a whole weekend passes.

Thanks so much for your time. I appreciate any insight you have

When you ping the laser from your laptop, what is the latency in mS?

Can you ping the router from the W8 box?
    Typically: ping 192.168.1.255 or whatever your network is setup as.

Can you set a static (instead of DHCP) IP address on the laser?

Was there a specific reason for going to W8?

If not, can you do a fresh install of W7 (even on a different HDD in case you want to keep both)?

Huge thanks to Tim Jasper at Northwest Laser Systems. worked with me until the problem was resolved. Tim, cant tell you enough how much I appreciate you taking the time. Much Mahalos!

Blog Entries
    Bryon

i cant afford a western laser and will likely end up with. rabbit from Rabbitlaser USA, but Tim still spent a ton of time with me on Epi's and lasers in general. He was terrific and i have since written Epi to compliment them on him. He is a credit to the company. Glad to hear someone else mention him by name. For you other readers out there. Tim is in the Seattle area. i can't recommend him enough as a terrific sales rep who will be with you well after your purchase.

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryon Knopf View Post
    Huge thanks to Tim Jasper at Northwest Laser Systems. worked with me until the problem was resolved. Tim, cant tell you enough how much I appreciate you taking the time. Much Mahalos!
    Ok, what was the problem and how was it resolved?

My wife does software support for a specialized software. They are having problems with customers and Windows 8 all the time. IF you don't need to "upgrade" stay on Win 7. I can not think of a reason I would go to 8!!
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I'm content in a Win 7 holding-pattern on all but one laptop. Unfortunately, 8 was the only OS offered.

Backup your software and buy an OEM version of Windows 7 Pro on Amazon, about $130. It will wipe out the entire hard drive on the install but if you have the software disks you can re-install. I held off from XP Pro for a long time and decided to go Win 7, its everything 8.1 should be... but I think 8 is right up there
    with Windows ME and Vista
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Nice idea. I use the 8 laptop with a 3D printer/scanner and although it's lightning fast, I spend a few extra minutes here and there looking for things due to the goofy interface. It's just seems so disorienting and impractical, but I don't have driver issues. I will admit that it's a little painful to spend $130 to replace an OS that I already paid for. It would be different if I had downtime or the frustration level ever approached Vista levels.

It seems that the problem was the IP address, while in the laser it was set to 192.168.3.4 as well as on the printer settings. It just would not speak to eachother. We changed it on both the laser and the computer to a new IP address and it works like a charm. Something small in the end but i was banging my head against it.

If Microsoft wants another way to make some money, they need to release a new version of XP, complete with upgrades that would actually be welcome (large thumbnails, the "DON'T copy all" option, etc), but with all of the Legacy and other "old school" stuff intact so us geezers who have perfectly good working 1980's, 1990's, and 2000's software an machinery running that Vista, 7 and 8 won't run! Vista and Win7 won't run most of my equipment, nor my older Quickbooks software. Win8 may be great for tablets and iphones, but IMO it'is completely useless and ridiculous on desktop computer...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    ...all of the Legacy and other "old school" stuff intact so us geezers who have
    Kev,

It's called slipstreaming XP, then running XP in a virtual machine =)

If anything goes wrong, fixing it is as simple as copying a (very large) file.

Tried running an XPVM on several computers. Wish I had those wasted hours back. And try putting an LPT port in a computer with Win8 on it...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle