Thread: Redwood hollow form

Redwood hollow form

Here is a hollow form I recently completed out of redwood. My uncle drives truck for a local sawmill, and a customer had some old growth redwood logs shipped to Michigan to be milled for his house. My uncle got me a few splinters, 60" * 9" * 7".

I turned a hollow form from one end approximately 7" tall and 4.5" diameter. Then I carved the fluting with a rotary carver Piercing some random holes. After turning a piece of this wood into a bowl, I noticed it really faded to a greenish color. So I used some red transtint dye on this piece.

After the form was completed, I added an African Blackwood pedestal and finial. Overall height 14".

Thanks for looking, and as always appreciate any comments or critiques.IMG_8860.jpg

Blog Entries
    A real nice Piece John, nice work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

I like this piece. It is really well turned. The only point I think is that the finial and pedestal don't "flow" into the carving on the hollow form. They look like they were stuck on as an after thought. May just be me, but this kind of distracts me from enjoying the piece as a whole.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

John, a beautiful turning and very creative. I really like the fluting and the holes that you placed inside the fluting. On the other side I must agree partly with Tom. The finial I think fits very nicely. But the pedestal does not and I think it is because your flutes don't blend into the turning at the base. Just my thoughts and impressions. Overall I say keep up the good work.

A beautiful hollow form and finial: lose the base.
    Fred

Very nice looking piece indeed! I really think you did a nice job on that finial, very fluid looking. I also dig the carving with holes. I do agree with Fred about loosing the base, if that is still an option. The flat bottom of the main HF makes the base look like an afterthought. Nice work!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

John, I like it as is, I don't agree with changing any part of it, it looks fine as is.
    Len

John, I love what you did with the form in this piece! Very unique. The proportions of the finial and base seem fine, and both are very well done. The shoulder of the form is consistent with the base of the finial and otherwise would flow well into it if the flutes either faded out at the junction or there was a definitive truncation of the flutes. The way it is, the finial does appear somewhat as an afterthought.

The same concerns apply to the base - the flutes need to fade so the transition is clean. In addition, the curvature of the bottom of the form is not quite consistent with the top curvature of the Blackwood base.

I know this was a lot of work, but I think the idea is well deserving of another attempt! With very few tweaks, this could be outstanding!

9. I think this is a very labor intensive and artistic form you have done here, John...........it deserves lots of kudos from a design standpoint! I do agree with the assessment that the base, especially loses the flow of the piece. I agree with John Keetons' comments about fading the flutes on the next one and allowing that transition point to flow seamlessly.

Conceptually this is a fine piece, and the technical execution is very well done................those transitions on the base and finial to the form.......get those taken care of and you will have a world class turning!

Congratulations on what you have achieved here!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Love it John.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

11. Great piece John, you are a master at making finials, making the changes suggested by John K. this would be a gallery piece anywhere in the U.S..

Don't listen to them John, lol, this piece is just AWESOME. Very impressive.

Thanks for all the replies. This is very helpful. I also was not real happy with the pedestal. But I already had the form finished, so i didn't want to go backwards after that. Will definitely think it through more next time.

Scott and Fred- I cannot lose the base as it is glued in.

John- I totally agree that I need to do better at transitioning the flutes or webs out so I can blend in the finial and base. I hurried myself towards the end to finish in time for a juried arts exibition

I definitely will be doing another one incorporating some design changes. May lose the finial and base altogether.

Thank you for all the compliments and the help.