Thread: Help - Over-the-table dust collection for a drill press and band saw?

Help - Over-the-table dust collection for a drill press and band saw?

My dust collection system is nearly complete, at least I thought it was. I have a cyclone dust collector. I also have 6" PVC main lines stretching to all the machines. For the drops, I've connected 4" clear urethane flex hoses from Wynn Environmental.

But how do I position the hose over-the-table for drill press, band saw, etc.? The flex hose is not all that flexible and 4" is too bulky to make an over-the-table connection without getting in the way, I think. My table saw and router table are not an issue because they have proper over-the-table ports. The band saw also has a port below the table, which I am easily able to connect to.

But how do I make an over-the-table connection for my drill press and band saw? Similarly, how do I make an under the table connection to my drill press, which does not have a port. Should I build some kind of jig? If so, how? I visited Rockler this weekend, but the options did not seem quite right. The "stay put" flex hose did not look all that durable.

The stay-put hoses actually work pretty well over shorter distances. I use it on both my drill press and directly under my band-saw table and to the side of the blade by the lower guides. Mine stay more or less in place, but if you have higher vacuum pressure, you may benefit from adding some method for securing the nozzle near the drill bit.

If you want to go the industrial strength route, look at the 2.5" loc-line vacuum hose on Amazon and elsewhere. It is about $15/foot.

Blog Entries
    Over the table on the bandsaw never yielded me enough benefit for the inconvenience. Improved below the table collection definitely did. I too use Stay-put style pipe/hose on the drill press.

G0513X-DC-mod 002.jpgG0513X-DC-Add 003.jpgG0513X-DC-mod 003.jpg

Funny-Pipe-001.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I like the look of the loc-line. I guess I would only need about a foot, so maybe not cost prohibitive. What is the quality like?

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Over the table on the bandsaw never yielded me enough benefit for the inconvenience. Improved below the table collection definitely did. I too use Stay-put style pipe/hose on the drill press.

G0513X-DC-mod 002.jpgG0513X-DC-Add 003.jpgG0513X-DC-mod 003.jpg

Funny-Pipe-001.jpg
    Like what you did around the lower guides!

If the stay-put were a Chevy, Loc-Line would be a Rolls-Royce.