Thread: bi-fold cabinet doors track?

bi-fold cabinet doors track?

I've installed plenty of closet bi-fold doors in my time, but never had someone request bi-fold cabinet doors.

4 doors - all 16 3/8 x 37 3/8, inset. Who makes tracks for this application? Is a roller installed on top of the inner most stile of the inside doors like a closet? I could hide the track with a molding piece. Or is the track mounted behind the top rail and the roller attached to the back of the stile?

Here's the idea. She wants to hide her 70" flat screen.

Living-Room4.jpg
    -Lud

For a television I would use pocket doors, bi-fold. There is no track like a closet door; you simply need a catch for the doors in the center. I would suggest SOSS hinges to pair the doors together. You hinge the door open, fold it together, and slide it in. I would build a pocket for the doors to go in, a removable divider so you can get to the adjustments.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Moses is correct (of course). No need for a track as you would have for bifold closet doors but there is some hardware required if the doors are to slide back into the case on the sides. We've done a few pieces of that nature but the easier and more popular way seems to be to let the doors hinge around to the sides as in one I did for a proposal recently.

You only need hinges, no sliding hardware and you don't need the inner panels which consume a fair amount of volume inside the case.

If a few rare earth magnets were employed, you could have a discrete "holding" mechanism
    to keep things neatly folded in the open position.

Well, doing it like Dave's picture is out the question. There's a wall to the right and a fireplace chase to the left (hence the protruding stile). I suppose 2 extra hinges on the outboard doors would provide sufficient support for the weight. Knotty Alder is very soft for a hard wood. I've had screws strips using very low clutch settings on the screw gun.
    -Lud

Ah, now some additional information comes to light. Then you should be looking at hardware like this. And as Moses pointed out, you'll want to add interior panels. You need to do that if you want shelves inside. This was an alternate version for the same client. It is designed for the flipper doors.

Cool. Thanks, Dave.
    -Lud