Thread: 2" long Impact Driver Bits?

2" long Impact Driver Bits?

Ok, so I finally bit the bullet a few months ago and got an 18V Bosch drill and impact driver set after using a 14.4V P+C set for years (no impact driver, though). Wow, what lightweight power. Anyways, I have a smattering of various bits and bit sets that I've acquired over the years, but I've found that I'm starting to destroy bits at an alarming rate with the impact driver. No spectacular failures yet, but I've noticed the tips on quite a few are now twisted, particularly the square drive and Torx bits that I've happened to use.

So, what I'm looking for are, as the thread title implies, 2" impact-rated driver bits, preferably in a sizable set covering the major styles and sizes of bits--Philips #1-3, T10-40, Square #1-3, various slotted, hex, etc. I absolutely cannot stand 1" bits in a magnetic holder. I've found that either the magnet is too week, so I'm constantly having to retrieve and reset the bit, or the fit is sloppy enough that the impact force wedges the bit into the holder, making it difficult to remove. That, and they're easy to fumble and lose with the paws I've got.

I've been on Google, Grainger, Lee Valley, Amazon, McFeely's, and McMaster-Carr for the last couple hours with no joy. A few sets had some of what I wanted, but then they'd throw in a couple dozen of those blasted 1" bits to boot. No joy.

If you know of a quality source, I'd love to hear about it. BTW, I consider these the gold standard of 2" #2 Philips bits, been using them for years, and they've done well in my impact so far: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AP7Y42VSPR7U4
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

We go through a bunch of bits too, and I haven't found one that lasts longer than another. While putting in pounds of 1-1/4 Deckmate "screwdrives", we found that one bit lasts through about a pound of those short screws. I accept the fact that we are asking a lot from a little bit of metal. I usually grab some when in a big box store. HD had Bosch packages of 10 and Milwaukee packages of 3. The guys say there is no difference to amount to anything for one over the other.

I avoid Phillips or square at any cost if possible.

I recently got an impact set too and love it. I have been eyeing this set at Home Depot: http://m.homedepot.com/p/Makita-Impa...357/204671030/

Have you tried something like this that's designed for impact drivers?

Take a look at this site - lots of different type of bits. http://www.wihatools.com/700seri/713insoc1_4.htm

Wiha are excellent and I've also had good luck with the Milwaukee with a red plastic sleeve on the bit. I have not broken any Wiha or Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I avoid Phillips or square at any cost if possible.
    I can understand avoiding Phillips if possible, but why avoid Square Drive?
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Ladendorf View Post
    I recently got an impact set too and love it. I have been eyeing this set at Home Depot: http://m.homedepot.com/p/Makita-Impa...357/204671030/

Have you tried something like this that's designed for impact drivers?
    There was a lack of info about the bits on the website, but one key word I saw was "insert bits"--which means they're 1". See boldface in my original post...

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Gallaher View Post
    Take a look at this site - lots of different type of bits. http://www.wihatools.com/700seri/713insoc1_4.htm
    That does look promising (once I found the page with impact driver bits--you have sockets linked), albeit quite expensive. I am intrigued by these "dual-material torsion bits" I've seen from several manufacturers. Do they simply sheer at the material transition when they are over-torqued? Or is the one material some sort of spring steel that absorbs some of the impact, protecting the tip?
    Jason

www.carbideprocessors.com

http://www.carbideprocessors.com/sea...ND+bit&x=2&y=4

Or search for "impact power bits"

Wiha Impact bits 2" are listed as 49mm.

Yes they really do work. There is a special section in the middle covered in red plastic. How it works is a huge secret for Wiha but it really does work. We have had some of these out for tests and the guys love them.

We guarantee them 100%. Not satisfied for any reason, simply return for full refund or replacement.

Tom
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    I can understand avoiding Phillips if possible, but why avoid Square Drive?
    They go in okay, but the percentage of those that give trouble getting back out is MUCH higher than TORX.

I have not tried Wiha bits. I do have a bunch of Wiha tools in my small engine repair kit that I really like. If every screw got put in perfectly inline with the bit, they would last much longer. When the guys are slamming in hundreds of screws, it just doesn't happen all the time.

I've never used Wiha bits before, but I will say their other hand tools I've used have been wonderful.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 05-29-2014 at 4:20 PM.

Well, that's a start at least. Those Wiha bits look like the ticket, but I may have to start with their "low-end" bits. I'm not sure I'm ready to commit to the ones coated with the invisible gold... Or the diamond-coated bits!
    Jason

Between the wiha, wera and makita impact bits, they're all improvements on standard bits.
    I prefer a 4" bit over a 2" though.