Thread: I need feedback for a possible jig

I need feedback for a possible jig

I had an idea for a jig the other day and thought you guys might be able to give me some help on whether or not it might work or if I am going to become an accident looking for a place to happen.
    I thought it might be possible to put a metal cutting blade in my table saw (those inexpensive blades that we used to use to cut rebar with a skil saw) and create a jig that slides in my table slots that will allow me to sharpen my planer blades. I was also wondering if it might be possible to create another sliding jig that will allow me to touch up my 10" saw blades. I would just be hitting the faces.
    Let me know what you guys think. If you think I am crazy, don't be shy about letting me know.

My initial reaction was if you ever build it, best-better clean all of the saw dust from around and in the table saw. Do not think that sawdust and hot metal or sparks are a good combination. Sometimes a smoldering ember can quickly ignite or smolder for hours before ignition....

Bad idea. First, wrong choice of cutting wheel. Cheaper in the long run to use a sharpening service. I am assuming you are using carbide tipped sawblades so you need a Diamond wheel to sharpen those. You only want to take a few thousands off the tooth face. Instead of many sharpening's you would probably reduce the life of the blade and create a worse cutting blade. You didn't say what kind of Planer blade you talking about and what size but people of May jigs similar using a grinding stone on the tablesaw. As mentioned before you must be sure to clean all the sawdust out of the saw or you will have a fire. Stepping over the dollars to pick up the pennies is what we call that. There are very few new ideas out there, just new people thinking up the old ideas that have been done many times.
    Last edited by Rick Lizek; 05-28-2014 at 4:02 AM.

Kickback of a ragged piece of carbide = shrapnel.

There are ways to handle this that are better, faster, cheaper and safer.
    http://www.finehomebuilding.com/work...er-knives.aspx