Thread: Internal Doors

Internal Doors

Hi guys, im thinking abt build 4 doors for my new houst, these are internal ones, i was thinking about make an frame with solid wood and then use veneer over MDF or similar as door face to close the frame and get the door ready, later with solid wood make the frame to mount the finished door.

Someone know some good video/book or link that help me to do that job?

Regards

Blog Entries
    Jose,

I just made an exterior door for my house. It is vertical grain fir and the weight is over 150 pounds. It is a chore to hang such a door.

I have made interior doors be building an open frame out of 1X4s. I joined the frame pieces together with pocket screws. I then attached 1/4" plywood skins to the frames with glue and brads.

These bi-fold doors are in front of my laundry closet and are about 15 years old.

Interior doors are normally 1 3/8" thick. The exterior doors I've built are 1 3/4" thick.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 05-28-2014 at 8:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Jose,

I just made an exterior door for my house. It is vertical grain fir and the weight is over 150 pounds. It is a chore to hang such a door.

I have made interior doors be building an open frame out of 1X4s. I joined the frame pieces together with pocket screws. I then attached 1/4" plywood skins to the frames with glue and brads.

These bi-fold doors are in front of my laundry closet and are about 15 years old.

Interior doors are normally 1 3/8" thick. The exterior doors I've built are 1 3/4" thick.
    Thanks the interior door like the one that you say is what im looking for, my english is not good so i cant explain better

So i need some kind of video showing someone making the Open Frame, i will use 5,5mm MDF that already come with veneer to attach to the frame.

Blog Entries
    Jose,

Your English is superior to my Spanish.

I have no video, but maybe the attached sketch will help.

The core of the door is made of 4/4 X 3 1/2" wood. The cross pieces are joined to the long pieces with pocket screws.

The 1/4" plywood panels are glued and tacked to the ladder looking core.

I have doors made like this that are about 20 years old and they are still good.

door_0001.jpg

thanks lowell you are the best! will try to find some way to purchase an Pocket screws jig from my country. Argentina gov dont let us to purchase products from outsise easily.

Other option will be to make the Joins using other method

Regards

Blog Entries
    You can use dowels and glue instead of pocket screws.

dowels are easy to find in Argentina

Regards

Hi Jose,

I did an interior door build and posted it. If you search, Interior door build, it should be listed on the second page. If you can't find it let me know. I hope it helps.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Layton View Post
    Hi Jose,

I did an interior door build and posted it. If you search, Interior door build, it should be listed on the second page. If you can't find it let me know. I hope it helps.

Sam
    Thanks sam Searching