Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 4x8 Sheets Fit These Vehicles...

Chevy Avalanche will fit full sheets with the mod gate down and the tail gate closed and all weather tight...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    And now no longer made even by GM correct? The later models looked very sexy to me too. Cadillac nice on the LTZ all black ones fully decked out. Big money.
    Yup, I think 2014 was the last year. It's a shame. I wish they would make a scaled down version. I liked the room but sure didn't need all the bells and whistles. The LTZ at about 70K is just plain crazy. I had my 2003 for about 8 years. Hauled everything from dirt, gravel, plywood and building material and 5 people could travel in comfort. But, at 12 mpg it hurt at gas pump.

I had an older Subaru Outback and could get a 4 x 8 sheet in the back sliding it over the backseat backrests. The newer Subarus are bigger so I would assume they could carry one more easily.

2002 Chevy Venture will fit several sheets of plywood with the rear hatch closed. Seats need to come forward a bit but for a short trip it's okay. Any thing more than that out comes the trailer.

Jerry

A 4x8 sheet will not fit in a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe. The width is just right, but the length with the seats down is about 2 feet too short - had to tie the tailgate down. Next time I'll be (carefully and securely) strapping it to the roof rack instead. 8' 2-by boards fits fine on a diagonal.

I really need to get a utility trailer...
    ~Garth

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen Benkin View Post
    I had an older Subaru Outback and could get a 4 x 8 sheet in the back sliding it over the backseat backrests. The newer Subarus are bigger so I would assume they could carry one more easily.
    Huh. I have a '99 Outback and couldn't fit a 4' by 4' sheet in there, not even canted diagonally.

The new RAM ProMaster will easily handle a 4 by 8 sheet between the wheel wells and you can close the rear doors even with the short wheel base model. My Astro cargo van would handle a full sheet between the wheel wells, however about two feet would hang out the rear.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Just got a Honda Pilot. 48 1/2" between the wells. Beauty! That was one of selling points back when Pilots first came out. Anyways, couldn't be happier with the car. Thanks for the help.

Bump.....
    Any others?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Miller View Post
    Get a minivan. Chrysler Town & Country/Dodge Caravan with stow-n-go seats. Wouldn't be without mine.
    ^^^THIS +1^^^ With the seats 'stowed' Full sheets of ply will lay flat on the floor with the back hatch closed normally. Only problem is that you lose all but one passenger seat. This is where a pickup might have the advantage. But a Minivan (at least a 2006 to present model, in my experience) hauls them quite nicely!

For me in. NorCal, it's not so important to be able to close the rear door. As long as I can slide them in, I can tie the door down for transport.
    I think the Pilot was a perfect solution for me. It's short enough to fit in my garage easily, is comfortably wide, but not too wide. Gas mileage is only fair, but better than my Expedition. Too bad Nissan narrowed the rear of the Xterra. That was my first choice, however the tape measure quickly eliminated it.

When I bought a Honda Pilot in 2003 they were advertising that it would fit a 4x6 sheet of plywood between the wheel wells. A good line if the customer does know about plywood sizing. Anyway, it had the most storage of any Standard SUV I've seen. I traded it for a Highlander Hybrid which is a good bit smaller but I usually have sheet goods broken down into two pieces at the yard. This helps with transport and handling in the shop.

As touched on previously, the Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler minivans will hold 4X8 sheets IF they are the long wheelbase (Grand) models. When Chrysler first designed these for the '84 model year, that was a a design requirement. The short wheelbase versions also have 4' between the wheel wells but you'll have to tie the lift gate down as the sheets will stick out about a foot. 2008 and up are all longer wheelbase.

I have a 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan and when I put 4X8 sheets on the floor with all the rear seats out, they hit the back of the center console and won't slide in far enough to let the lift gate close. To fix this glitch, all I have to do is pull a lever inside the console which releases it from the floor. Then I can push it forward a few inches and everything fits.

1964 Ford Country Squire station wagon... my uncle had one.

Honestly, a great alternative is a simple utility trailer...even a "fold up" one would suffice. I use a 5'x8" utility trailer for acquiring material if I'm not having it delivered. (Industrial Plywood delivers, but if I purchase from local concerns I have to transport) And $500-1000 for a utility trailer is pretty reasonable as compared to buying a new vehicle if that wasn't already a planned purchase.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...