Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 4x8 Sheets Fit These Vehicles...

What a great thread. The car dealers thought i was nuts for bringing my own plywood test piece.

For the record- 4x8 fits in my 2013 Kia Sorento with 2 feet sticking out the back and tailgate roped shut. it won't lie flat- it must be in the middle widest part of the hatch about 10" above the floor, but it makes the 10 mile trip from the big orange in one piece.

I know this is supposed to be vehicles that will fit a piece, but I can tell you that a GMC Terrain absolutely will NOT fit a 4' wide piece much less 8' long. The first time I needed plywood from the BORG I asked them to cut it in half thinking that a 4x4 piece would fit. NOT A CHANCE! I had to stand it up in front of the back seat and even then it was very tough to get in.

So bottom line - if you need to carry 4'x8' sheets, DON'T get a GMC Terrain!!
    I Pledge Allegiance to This Flag, And If That Bothers You Well That's Too Bad - Aaron Tippin

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Been looking at the Honda Ridgeline (for the wife )... I know a sheet lies flat in the bed with the tail down.
    Leaves room to spare on both sides. More than half of the weight will be behind the rear axle.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Schenk View Post
    You must not have looked at an F150 in a while, they've had fully flat floors with seats that fold up with one hand for many years.
    On some trim models, depending on the options you'd choose, there is a large sub-woofer on the floor which defeats the flat floor concept. Also, seats protrude too far forward compared to Ridgeline seats when folded up. I had both RidgeLine and F150, so my opinion is based on my observations.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    I'd like to start this thread, as many have asked this question on several forums. Can it be a sticky? Anyhow, I'm always on the lookout for vehicles that can fit a sheet of plywood, hatch down or tied down doesn't matter. I know my old Expedition fit sheet in with hatch down no prob. Also, my wife's old Nissan Xterra fit sheets in with hatch tied down, although I had to slip in a 6" high framework spacer under the sheets to get the weight off the wheel wells. Whenever I picked up sheets with the Xterra, workers were surprised that they just slipped right in.
    Who's next...Don't want to hear trailer.
    Full sheets fit in a 1975 Pinto station wagon using the same solution to get above the wheel wells. They stick out the back about 18", so you need to tie the hatch down.

Steve

No problem in a Chev 3500. With long forks, they can sit a whole bundle right in.

You can fit about 4 sheets of 4x8 by 3/4" thick in the back of a Toyota Sienna (2004 to 2010) and close the back hatch.

The front seat brackets may interfere if you try to stack more.

The middle seats have to be removed. It's a pain in the backside to remove and reinstall the seats. They are fairly heavy and awkward.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

I have a 09 Tacoma Base 2WD pick-up which handles a stack of ply with a pair of varnished 2x6's in the bed notches with the tailgate down. These trucks have a pair of tool compartments inside the box where I keep clamps to secure the ply to the 2x6's at the corners. I've found this to be a easy way to transport ply @ 25 mpg.
    Mac
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 05-27-2014 at 8:28 PM.

I used to pack several full sheets in my 1970 Jeep Wagoneer. Fold the back seat up, roll the back window down, worked great. Another one of those trucks I never should have parted with

I can also carry 9' hardwood boards in my 2002 Saturn - No passenger seat, since I rarely if ever have passengers. I always get a chuckle at the feed store too, stuffing a bale of hay in that little car
    Last edited by John Downey; 05-27-2014 at 8:05 PM.

For those of us who aren't planning to buy a new truck or van in the near future, here's an alternative method to carrying 4 x 8 goods. A few years ago, I showed up at the local hardware place and wanted to buy a 4 x 8 sheet of hardboard. The salesman said, sure, here's how to carry it. I have a Mazda MPV, a small van which had an interior space just a bit more than 8 feet, but including the driver's area). He had me sit in the car and pushed the board in until I was sitting under it (it spanned the distance between the rear door and the sun visors. It was not the best solution and you couldn't be very tall at the same time. Also with a heavier material, a speed bump could give you a whack on the head. Lifting the head rest up made it so that I wasn't balancing the board on my head.

Anyway, I went through the above narrative so that I could describe my better solution. I built a small wooden frame at first that used the headrest posts to position it. It spanned the two front seats and held a piece of wood that could support two 2x3's which ran from the front to back. The rear end of the 2x3's were held in another frame. I could place 4x8 material on the 2x3's. The front end of the 4x8 sheets just fit under the sun visors, the rear frame kept the sheet from resting on the rear door. I sat under the 4x8 sheet, but did not have to bump into it, since the 2x3's held it up above my head.

I re-made the front support using two small welded frames, one for each side, which were more compact and that I could leave in place on the headrest posts. They also permitted better visibility when I wasn't carrying anything. The 2x3's were made so that they could fold up, both in the middle so that I could stow them easily, and at the front, so that when they were in place, I could flip them out of the driver's area.

In any case, I could carry 4x8 sheets without having to buy a new vehicle. Hope this information is useful to someone else.

I could carry five full 3/4" thick sheets of 4x8 plywood in my 2003 Honda Odyssey.

More than that, and there were collisions with the rear stow and go seat brackets,
    or the front seat mounts. This required the middle seats to be removed.

If ever I needed more material than this, I paid the delivery fee.
    That proved to be considerably less money than a full size Pickup truck.

Blog Entries
    I can get 7 feet of a 4'x8' sheet flat on the floor of my GMC Acadia (carried 8 sheets of 3/4" ply once), but the Chevy Traverse and Buick Enclave, built on the same GM platform has a different hatch configuration that is too narrow. Both my previous Safari van and the Acadia are designed for a 48 1/2" floor width, 49" would require a slightly diagonal loading with one side supported 6" off the floor.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 05-28-2014 at 7:45 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    If it can't fit a 4x8 in the bed with the tailgate up, it ain't a truck.
    I have to agree!

But there was a time when I was truck poor. I did have a Chevy Astro EXT. Could pull the middle and back seats out and load 4X8 shhets until the rear suspension cried. Had a weird single bow fiberglass spring. It looked like a plasti-dipped leaf spring until I really got to looking at it one day. After that I was careful not to overload it...

When I need to haul just a few sheets, I drive my shortbed ranger, and just let them rest on the top edge of the tailgate, and run a strap over the top. If I need a stack of sheets, drive my silverado 2500hd. The silverado allows you to put the sheets all the way in and shut the tailgate.

Great thread! I'll be buying a new SUV in the next couple years and it would be nice to be able to fit sheet goods.

It would be great if people could state 48x96 or 49"x97" (mdf).

I have a Chrysler Town and Country mini van. I flip the second and third row seat into the floor and than there is enough room for a full 4 by 8 sheet with the tailgate closed.
    Since I don't have a truck any more this works great and keeps my wood dry.

Bob