Thread: Odd Jointer Behavior

Odd Jointer Behavior

Was jointing some boards today and had an unusual amount (like all of them) of chips spew from the opening at the cutter head. Had the DC hooked up but floor was covered in chips...... anyone else think this is unusual. Wood rather not disassemble it as it took forever to get set up. (it's a PM FWIW)

Sounds like the chute is plugged. Unhook your dust hose and see if it is plugged.

Sounds like the DC line is plugged.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I can positively, completely, and absolutely assure you that your problem is a clog in the dust collection. It happens to me all the time when I run wide boards thru my jointer.
    Wood'N'Scout

That happens when chips mound up inside the jointer under the cutterhead. Put a stick up there and wave it around, a pile of chips will come out.

Have also seen it occur in friend's machine.
    We found a huge rat in the bugger.

Eww ..

I have a big jointer with a 6" Dust chute .. If I joint curly maple, it clogs up every time. No idea why. Same symptoms..

I have never found a rat in my Jointer.

Do you have one if those guards that keeps you from putting your hand in the dust chute? Those can cause clogs too.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Do you have one if those guards that keeps you from putting your hand in the dust chute? Those can cause clogs too.
    If you mean the guard at the DC input, yes they plug up. They are the first thing I cut out of them.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Maybe your DC is not turned on.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    If you mean the guard at the DC input, yes they plug up. They are the first thing I cut out of them.
    Not the best idea if you have a single stage collector..........Rod.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kohn View Post
    I can positively, completely, and absolutely assure you that your problem is a clog in the dust collection. It happens to me all the time when I run wide boards thru my jointer.
    The same thing happens with my lunch box planer from time to time.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute