Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Portable converter for 220 single phase to 3 phase?

Portable converter for 220 single phase to 3 phase?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has heard of a plug-in type of converter that will take 220 volt single phase and convert it to 220 volt 3 phase? Basically I can pay to have an electrician install a new outlet..but I tend to move every few years and would like a more portable solution.
    I did come across this:
    http://www.phase-a-matic.com/RotaryDescription.htm

Any other ideas?
    Thanks!

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I have not seen a plug & play converter, they all need some wiring done. I use a static phase-a-matic for my two 3-phase machines.
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

I'd call the phase-e-matic tech line and discuss your needs/plans with them. They tend to be highly knowledgeable. I went with an american rotary convertor for my shop based on price at the time, I tend not to move ever these days, so mine is hard wired. What size convertor are you running? Mine is 10HP and required a 6AWG line coming in, 40 amps 220. I suppose you could wire up an extension cord that plugs into a standard electric dryer circuit if thats available in your area, or an electric oven, and wire the three phase line out similarly. Mine was designed to be hard wired, seems mechanically that could be worked around, not sure the safety of it either way. Interesting idea though. If you had to have a 30-50A circuit pulled at each location anyway I don't see much advantage to the portable option. Not sure how many landlords would allow you to pull circuits off the panel, most leases I had in the past specifically prohibited that sort of infrastructure modification.

If you are doing smaller 3 phase motors, say up to 2 HP, I think it would work to simply wire an inverter with an extension cord on both ends, single phase 220 in and three phase out. You would have to research the amperage and make sure all your fittings and wire are appropriate. I used an inverter on my my 3 phase PM 66 1-1/2 HP, wired it myself and had my brother inspect it and it is still working great to this day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Plug in the rotary phase converter (RPC). Have a plug on the 3 phase output side of it. Plug in the tool you want to run as long as the RPC is sized for the tool. Start the RPC/ideler motor. Start the tool.

Get a decent RPC that has a balanced generated leg on the run side.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Put a VFD w/3phase motor on my lathe for variable speed... simply put a plug on it to go into a standard 220v single phase outlet and no wiring had to be done..

Several years ago, had a tablesaw & RAS, both 3 phase, in garage... had a 5HP RPC that I did the same thing... simply plugged them up when needed ...

If you have a dryer outlet, etc, just buy a plug to fit in it and make up an extension cord... BE SURE the wire in cord you make is heavy enough for the current you will be drawing...

I have a used phase perfect on a pallet with a 50 amp oven plug on one end and an L15-30 on the other and haul it where I need it. I do the same thing with vfds but the PP is better for testing machines with mag starters and complicated electronics. Could do the same thing with an rpc and the pallet can have wheels for even more ease. Dave

I used an outlet and pigtail for my 5 hp phase converter. The outlet was a 30 amp 220 volt one to take a drier plug. When I upgraded to a 10hp phase converter I hardwired it into the panel. To be honest it's not that complicated. I could take it off the panel in 5 minutes and install it to another panel just as quick, assuming the flexible conduit was long enough to run from the panel to the idler sitting on the floor.

Yep.

I have a Phase Perfect .. Its capable of handling up to 125 Amps. When I first got it, I actually wired a 30 amp plug to it and plugged it into a 30 amp receptacle. It produced enough power to run a 4hp motor no problem.

Its 100lbs.. So its not really portable. But its not 500 lbs like a similar sized rotary..

Thanks for the replies. Right now all I know is that I will be running a 1 HP motor for this Clicker press:
    http://www.mfgsup.com/die_cutting_sy..._machines.html

I am speaking with the manufacturer to get more details on the power needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Lentz View Post
    Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has heard of a plug-in type of converter that will take 220 volt single phase and convert it to 220 volt 3 phase? Basically I can pay to have an electrician install a new outlet..but I tend to move every few years and would like a more portable solution.
    I did come across this:
    http://www.phase-a-matic.com/RotaryDescription.htm

Any other ideas?
    Thanks!
    Hi, my portable sawmill uses a VFD where single phase power is available.

It has a 10/3 cab tyre cord on the input and a 208V 3 phase receptacle mounted to it as the output.

When it's not being the portable sawmill power it's hanging on my wifes lathe..........Rod.

12. I'll second (or third) the use of a modern Variable Frequency Drive wired to a suitable service cord. They work great, are relatively inexpensive, lightweight, and do not have the kinds of power losses associated with old generator-style converters.

Steve.

I do not recommend one VFD for multiple tools. VFDs may have programming for each motor and its function, braking, freq, range, thermal overloads, etc. You will also want some kind of portable power button setup - you do NOT put a power switch on the 3ph power output side of a VFD so you do not continue to use the tools power buttons. The power switch controls intelligent inputs on the VFD to turn the power on to the tool. Those inputs are also wired to any E-stops
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    I do not recommend one VFD for multiple tools. VFDs may have programming for each motor and its function, braking, freq, range, thermal overloads
    The VFD we were selling had 10 profiles in it just for that reason. The VFD nearly makes having a three phase supply redundant and for those that move frequently is a must have.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Go to web site "practical machinest.) They have lots of info on making your own RPC, using an old three phase motor. Lots cheaper than buying a new RPC. I built one for my neighbor about ten years ago. It has a Herbish dry motor on it as the pony motor He runs his Bridgeport mill and Sharpe lathe on it.