Thread: Powermatic Model 15 leaking

Powermatic Model 15 leaking

have a Powermatic Model 15 from 1997 that I bought used. I was using it yesterday when I noticed some damp shavings under the cover on the right side of the machine, behind and below the handwheel. I checked and found it to be oil. I couldn't investigate further as it was getting dark and my planer is in the garage.

Best guess: Probably a gasket????? If so, is it hard to change? What oil do I use in it? Where to get the gasket? What else could it be??

TIA, Joe
    Last edited by Joe McMahon; 05-26-2014 at 3:54 PM.

The only fluid in your machine is the gear oil. Try tightening the bolts first to see if that helps, otherwise it's gotta be the gasket.

There are numerous threads on here about these planers so do some searching please. Specifically try searching for Byrd shelix cutter head installation, because the work you need to do in the gearbox is part of installing a cutter head. There's a tutorial on the Byrd website that can walk you through the process too.

I used some of that RTV gasket stuff in a tube to make a gasket for my Grizzly. I then replaced it with 90w gear oil. Not hard to do. Just a little messy. A funnel and hose works great to fill it back up.

I recently bought the gasket from ereplacementparts.com.

Wouldn't hurt to get a new seal while you're at it.

Paul
    Last edited by Paul M Miller; 05-26-2014 at 7:36 PM.

Thanks, then that is what I'll do