Thread: router table help. woodpecker or jessem.

router table help. woodpecker or jessem.

I think I have it narrowed down. What are your guys thoughts. It's either http://www.jessemdirect.com/Mast_R_L...ge_p/09411.htm or http://www.woodpeck.com/prp4.html.

Those are beautiful tools, but I elected to go with a Triton (has a great adjustable lift built in) and this table: http://www.rt1000.com/ , which would leave you with still a good amount of funds to buy a bunch of bits.

These are difficult questions to answer thoughtfully. I think that most people are likely to only have experience with one of them. In my case, that'd be the Jessem. Mine does not say Jessem on top, it says Incra. It's made by Jessem. I bought the Incra primarily because the plate on top is the Rockler size. It's truly a great lift. Fine control of bit height. Smooth operation, bit is centered. Easy adjustment too with the crank turning the mechanism from the top. And a lock to keep the lift in place. A very good bonus is that the inserts are held in with rare earth magnets.

You really won't go wrong with the Jessem router lift.

When was looking for a table and I lift I went with the Jessem.

I really liked the way the fence mounted to the table, the rails mount on the end of the table and does not have T-tracks in the middle of the table.
    The lift is smooth and easy to run up and down, changing bits on top of the table is nice also. When you lock it, it is locked and does not move even with my PC 7518.

Another thing was the inserts, they are plastic and I can get blank ones to make zero clearance with them.

I guess the side crank would be ok, but for me and my small shop it is just something to get caught on.

I think a woodworker should make their own router table, but that's just me.
    Anyhow I have WP lift and fence. (I was planning on making my own fence, but bought an unused one for almost nothing...) They are great; I particularly like the ability to make big adjustments quickly; though mine also has a side crank.

I have some Jessem tools also and they are great also. You can't go wrong with either.

I have the Jessem lift on their phenolic table. I can't tell from the link you supplied if that table is the phenolic one. My lift is OK, but the table is not. It sagged early on and Jessem replaced it and supplied additional braces for the table with built in levellers. The table sagged again. Mine is an older model, so they may have improved the stand to better support the table. You may want to talk to them about that before buying it. It is not cheap.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Woodpecker as a company is much more reliable for parts. I waited 7 months for a part from jessem. 2 days from woodpecker.

My router table and lift are woodpecker.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I actually have had, and used both extensively.

I had the Woodpecker for several years (still have it, but am not presently using it), but was very much annoyed by the method of using the thumb wheel to raise or lower the lift. The macro movements (with the insertable rod) were clunky with my PC7518 router, which is a heavy beast. The micro movements with the small dial have a lot of resisitance and wear out your thumb.

I find the Jessem much easier to use. Just having the handle that rotates to raise or lower it is much easier for me.

I did find that the Woodpeckers was a little easier to get to fit perfectly in the insert.

Now if I had the Sidewinder attachment, I might very well like the Woodpeckers better. Without it, no way.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I agree with Alan, I use the Woodpecker with the sidewinder and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I actually have had, and used both extensively.

I had the Woodpecker for several years (still have it, but am not presently using it), but was very much annoyed by the method of using the thumb wheel to raise or lower the lift. The macro movements (with the insertable rod) were clunky with my PC7518 router, which is a heavy beast. The micro movements with the small dial have a lot of resisitance and wear out your thumb.

I find the Jessem much easier to use. Just having the handle that rotates to raise or lower it is much easier for me.

I did find that the Woodpeckers was a little easier to get to fit perfectly in the insert.

Now if I had the Sidewinder attachment, I might very well like the Woodpeckers better. Without it, no way.
    I did this with my PRL-V2:

Front-Winder