Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acrylic Bender

Acrylic Bender

I know many laser engrave/cut acrylic, thought you might find this PAIR of benders interesting.

I never saw them on ebay or amazon for a pair. Might be useful for other plastics as well.
    I *think* the square he makes if foam board, I couldn't tell for sure.

Video (this guy must have asbestos hands):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QluHdelO2yg

Notice that he applies self-adhesive teflon cloth to one bender. This is the same stuff you use on impulse sealers to prevent sticking. Not sure if it would be need for acrylic work, but just something to keep in mind if you decide to get one.

$51 USD with free shipping, but doesn't state US Plug:
    aliexpress DOT com/item/Arc-Shape-Bending-Tool-Acrylic-Letter-Bender-Angle-heat-Bender-AC-110v-220v-Acrylic-luminous-letter/1721605165.html

$63 USD shipped and DOES state US Plug:
    aliexpress DOT com/item/Acrylic-Letter-Bender-Angle-heat-Bender-Arc-Shape-Bending-Tool-AC-110v-220v-Acrylic-luminous-letter/1613950286.html

More search results:
    aliexpress DOT com/wholesale?SearchText=Acrylic+Letter+Bender+&catId= &initiative_id=SB_20140521000357

Sample photos, note the Non-US plug:
    http://www.acrylicbender.net/Acrylic...g-Details.html
    Last edited by Robert Walters; 05-21-2014 at 4:19 AM.
    ULS M-300 30W, CorelDraw X4

Pretty good - but they just look like hair straighteners that my wife uses - GHDs....?
    Jit Patel
    London UK

30w Trotec Speedmarker CL (Galvo) with 400mm & 250mm lens
    80w Trotec Speedy 400 with Rotary, Vacuum Table, Cutting Lamellas, 2" & 1.5" lens, Pass through
    Oki Printing Press
    Abobe Creative Suite - Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign.
    Vector Magic

I usually make my own bend table, but this is interesting. Could be useful.

Errr I think they are Jit's Mrs hair straighteners!!

I'm off the blag the wifes GHD's, she will never notice

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

good luck with that Dave do let us know when you get caught

yes its looks like a hair straightener but the irons are a V shape I think

cheers Frank

Dave - If they were my wifes, I would be sure to make her sort my acrylic bends for me...seriously though....I would probably wake up with my parts missing if I took them to use on acrylic!
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 05-22-2014 at 8:44 AM.
    Jit Patel
    London UK

80w Trotec Speedy 400 with Rotary, Vacuum Table, Cutting Lamellas, 2" & 1.5" lens, Pass through
    Oki Printing Press
    Vector Magic

Hey All -
    In this case I'm not planning to open explanatory files I don't know who-from - so, 'fore looking into this further, let me ask: What are 'few of the applications where "bending" acrylic is useful. (however it's accomplished.) You all seem to know this has some use. Have never thought of doing this - have never run 'cross the need. Yet, always open, for the most part, to new ideas. (BTW: I have cut shapes out of sheets of colored acrylics - just never thought of bending it. (I'll stay out' a the wife missing her hair curler gizmo discussion.)

Bill
    (Using Epilog 35W Mini 24)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stearns View Post
    Hey All -
    In this case I'm not planning to open explanatory files I don't know who-from - so, 'fore looking into this further, let me ask: What are 'few of the applications where "bending" acrylic is useful. (however it's accomplished.) You all seem to know this has some use. Have never thought of doing this - have never run 'cross the need. Yet, always open, for the most part, to new ideas. (BTW: I have cut shapes out of sheets of colored acrylics - just never thought of bending it. (I'll stay out' a the wife missing her hair curler gizmo discussion.)

Bill
    Here's a prototype of something I make that requires bending acrylic.

10154117_10202025270095180_3436492678067877860_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stearns View Post
    What are 'few of the applications where "bending" acrylic is useful.
    One example might be reverse engraving an organization's logo on acrylic then bending it into a table tent or photo frame.

See this for examples:
    http://www.google.com/images?q=acrylic+table+tent

Here are a couple of examples where we bend acrylic.20140521_141246.jpg

Thanks for the pics, guys! - worth 'thousand words, as they say. That's what I love 'bout this business - always something new to learn - or think 'bout doing. Guess I'll go back and re-read the threads. - or, just ask fresh: does the hair curler device handle the job on smaller items? Any particular instructions for me, if I were to try using one. (divorced 'n don't have one handy.)

Bill
    (Using Epilog 35W Mini 24)

ummm does anybody know how to get melted acrylic off of GHD hair straighteners?

Wonder if I can get into town and get her a new set before she realises
    You did what !

Blog Entries
    Dave,

Didn't you want to bend that acrylic? Not straighten it? <grin>

I bet she never notices it unless she attempts to run a comb through that part. And the acrylic it adds to her hair the next time she uses it will add body and shine to it. I would only be concerned if you used it on colored acrylic. Bright red acrylic in her hair might be noticeable.

Let me know if you need a place to stay once she discovers your secret. It is a long drive, but you are always welcome!!!! <grin>

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Acrylic bender 30 days from China........ $50
    Your Wife/gf's GHD in the other room... $200
    Look on her face when she finds out...... PRICELESS

ahaha brilliant - Dave - you're in trouble fella. Question is, did it work?
    Jit Patel
    London UK

Oki Printing Press
    Vector Magic