Thread: Infinity Dadonator Question

Infinity Dadonator Question

I have the dado set, and wouldn't you know it, I need a 3/16 dado. Now the instructions say not to use the chippers without BOTH cutters. Well, the smallest dado I can get then would be 1/4, just using both cutters. Anyone ever use the dado with just one cutter and one chipper?

Thanks

Yikes! I wouldn't do that.
    Safety would be severely compromised as that chipper would just love to grab and kickback. If it would work without kickback, the edge on the chipper side would be ugly and ragged.

Just make two passes with a single blade... done.
    Or use a router.
    “Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity”

I did not know that you should not use just a single cutter blade. I the past, I used the left cutter and a 1/16 chipper to cut the groove for the drawers bottom with no issue. I have an Oslun dado set and the chipper is basically the same as 2 cutters though. I guess I won't use a single cutter any more.
    Mike

Can you just use a 1/16 inch shim on the fence face and make two passes one with the shim and one without. That should get you 3/16 assuming a 1/8 inch blade.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Stankus View Post
    Can you just use a 1/16 inch shim on the fence face and make two passes one with the shim and one without. That should get you 3/16 assuming a 1/8 inch blade.

John
    Think I'd just move the fence 1/16th, no shim needed.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    I wouldn't hesitate to use two chippers and a shim ... not really much different than the old single-cutter molding heads that Sears & Delta sold.

It works, I wouldn't plow really deep dados that way, but I've seen guys use one cutter/one chipper, two chippers and no cutters, just one cutter,,,,,turn the lights down low, put black paper over the windows, pack the walls with old newspaper so the safety police can't hear what you are doing and it will be fine. I'd probably just use a 3/16" router bit in the router table if the slots are shallow, but in a pinch the half stacked dado can get it done. You may not get the cleanest cut on the chipper side.

A bunch of interesting answers......I guess that I would be afraid that if just using chippers it would grab and throw it back at me. As mentioned, it would be so much safer and just as easy to use your regular blade and move the fence the right amount. It probably would be faster also as it takes time to take the dado chippers on and off the saw.

I do not care about the safety police but I do care about my safety.

If you need less than a 1/4" dado, it'd be safer to make multiple passes with your regular blade....it has normal tooth overhang on both sides.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Thanks guys. I think two passes will be in my future.