Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice needed: filling a void near bow tie inlay

Yeah it's 32"-42" wide and almost 8' long...would have been longer but I lost ~6" due to some lateral sawmill "goof" cuts that I didn't want to deal with. I got lucky sourcing those slabs!

In re getting the straight line, I used a sheet of MDF for a fence and routed them (used a router jig to do the planing, as well). I had to do some tweaking after the first pass and I wish the joint on one side was a little tighter, but I'm not going to get it any better given the limited tools that I have available in my garage workshop. I'll post a full write-up when it's done.

UPDATE: Work Complete (and THANKS EVERYONE)

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all of the advice. The gap was too small to wedge a sliver into so I ended up taking the sawdust and white glue approach, which turned out very well.

I forgot to get a picture before the poly got applied, but here's the final result.

VoidFilled.jpg

Joe
    Great save! Tom

Nobody will ever know. Looks great. I'd like to see a picture of the whole top finished. Can you post?

Now if you can just get rid of that ugly red arrow no one will ever notice the filler. Well done.

As requested, here are some photos of the finished slabs. Please excuse the shop rags that are still wedged in those big cracks!

The lighting isn't great and I think I took both of these when the polyurethane was wet. I got through 7 or 8 coats of semi gloss, and I think I will stop at this point. Also used System Three to fill in a bunch of cracks w/ clear epoxy (basically anything that wasn't a through crack).

I also included a screencap from SketchUp - the base is being welded by a local professional now...2" square tubing that I'll probably paint flat black.

SlabsWet1.jpgSlabsWet2.jpgFrameDesign.jpg

Georgia O'Keefe, eat your heart out...
    Looking good. Kudos for sweating the details even when such wild and wonderful figure would hide a lot of imperfections.

Looks beeee-yoooo-tiful!! Be sure to provide the final shot!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Looks very nice.... Will you fill that huge hole in the center.... with a cooler for your beer?