Thread: Any used Inkscape as an alternate

Any used Inkscape as an alternate

A place where I work does not have corel draw on my machine. So I download inkscape. I have found to to be very good. While I like corel better, inkscape is a viable alternative in a pinch.

It took a bit to get used to, but now I can use it almost as well as I can corel draw. It lacks some of the cool shortcuts corel draw has like centering.

One thing I do like is it can import many illustrator or corel draw files. So if you have an older version of corel draw and can't bring in an ai file. This might be your ticket.

Anyways,

Out out!

Blog Entries
    For a long time it was my go-to tool (still is in a number of cases), but I had to shy away from it and move more towards Corel when the combination of it and my ULS wouldn't handle fonts correctly (kerning increased based upon the resolution I printed at). Some of the add-on tools are downright invaluable to me, though.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I use Inkscape to feed my YAG galvo engraving laser. It does a pretty good job of taking black and white jpg artwork and converting to vector. I engrave my fingerprints and things like mountain scenes into titanium rings with it. On my laser, the output color dictates laser power, and there are 10 power levels to utilize, all of which can be fine adjusted in the laser software.
    ULS 135 watt w/rotary, Mazak QT-6T CNC lathe, Dapra machining center, Sherline CNC, Tormach CNC, Acad, Rofin welding laser, YAG laser w/ rotary, 4500 watt Fiber laser
    Boone Titanium Rings

I've played around with it as the 'gears' function is excellent, and something (as far as I know), not possible to do in Corel.
    Cheers, Steve

--

Trotec Speedy 300, Rated at 89.8 watts.
    Atmos Duo, Rotary Attachment, Corel Draw 7

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crawford View Post
    I've played around with it as the 'gears' function is excellent, and something (as far as I know), not possible to do in Corel.
    Not without paying money, anyway... I tell you, the plugins for Inkscape are many and varied, but more importantly many are very useful.

I guess I'm what you'd call software challenged I use corel and its very hard for me to figure out but I'm slowly getting it thanks to a lot of stuff I read here, I have inkscape but trying to learn what it can do that corel can't just seems like a waste time to me cause its very hard for me to learn it. Hey what can i say I'm a slow learner. I can do what I want in corel for the most part. Lucky for me I don't do anything to complicated.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    Bert,

I'm no speed demon when it comes to learning new software, either... but I've found the fastest way for me to learn a new function is to have a project on my desk that requires said new function. Muscle memory kicks in real fast when you do something 100 times in a row.