Thread: Liming Wax

Liming Wax

Can anyone tell me of a source of liming wax in Canada?
    Is there an alternative if none is available? For example, will gesso do the job?

I am looking for something to fill in the little pits created with a texturing tool to bring the result to life.

Depending on the use, white paste shoe polish can be a substitute.

Blog Entries
    You might check with Lee Valley/Veritas.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

I got some sent in from these people. http://www.woodessence.com/ Also got some ultra blond shellac flakes. They shipped what I ordered and I got it in a very reasonable time.

James

Craft Supplies carries Liberon Liming waxes - I would guess they ship to Canada www.woodturnerscatalog.com

I mix everything from line chalk to mica powders to make different colors of wax to fill pores. Pearl Ex comes in 20 plus colors and many are dichromic. Once the wax is dry, I use #0000 steel wool to buff off the surface and the apply spray can wax over that. works well and the lacquer will adhere to the surface.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Thanks everyone.

James :I had not come across Wood Essence before and, judging by their website, they carry some interesting lines .

Your approach of making it yourself , Bob, is interesting and I would like to have a try. What have you found is the best wax to start with? I presume you mix your powder into a commonly available wax , make a paste and spread it on. What wax do you use for the mixture? Does it matter?

Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Shillabeer View Post
    Thanks everyone.

James :I had not come across Wood Essence before and, judging by their website, they carry some interesting lines .

Your approach of making it yourself , Bob, is interesting and I would like to have a try. What have you found is the best wax to start with? I presume you mix your powder into a commonly available wax , make a paste and spread it on. What wax do you use for the mixture? Does it matter?

Regards
    John

i just use Johnson paste was. It is just a medium to apply the color. Just about any would do. Clear shoe polish would be another. Any one that dries relatively fast.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Amazon has several choices, no idea about shipping to Canada.
    Fred

Try a bit of Titanium Oxide artist pigment available from a craft supply or artist supply mixed in with a paste wax. I have mixed a little in with a paste wax as suggested. I think my paste wax is Minwax. It won't matter.
    God is great and life is good!

Right: I'm all fired up to give it a try mixing it myself.
    Thanks everyone
    John

Would Rub-N-Buff work for this? You can get it at about any crafts store.

John,

I think is you contact WoodChuckers (http://www.woodchuckers.com/) they can get Liming Wax I believe. They are located in the east end of Toronto. Their web site is getting better, but may not cover all they can get.

Lloyd