Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Divider question

Divider question

Hi,

I've been looking for dividers on eBay, and I'm getting a bit lost on what to go after. Is there any form of divider that is *not* useful to do layout in woodworking? Specifically, is "metalworking" dividers not good for woodworking dividers? If I observed correctly, the metalworking dividers seem to have (for a lack of better words) "chunky" legs as opposed to pointy ones that I've seen in the woodworking videos

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Have you tried searching > drafting set -card -team < the minus card and team eliminates a lot of sports cards.

Look through the completed listing to see what has sold and prices.

It is an inexpensive way to get a few at once.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim,

Thanks for the search idea (and the search trick!). I did search "divider" under Business & Industrial and that got a handful of results. Your suggestion results in nicer looking sets though. (It actually brought me a childhood nostalgia as I remember "borrowing" my dad's set looked just like them.)

Many (if not all) in these drafting sets have what I called chuncky-legged ones. They must have a slots at the end to clamp separate pins while the legs of the pointy kinds are formed a sharp tip. Any advantage of one over the other? I'm probably overthinking this as I do with most everything else...

I love my round leg Starretts 3" & 6".

Machinist's dividers, like these:
    Fig-14-Tool-Makers-Dividers.jpg
    are probably the most common thing you'll find in eBay. They come in several different leg shapes, which won't make much difference day in and day out. What will make a difference is whether the nut is plain or quick-release. The latter allows you to get close and then fine tune your setting.

Maybe less common, but in my opinion better for woodworking, are wing dividers:
    f1074-03.png
    These allow you to get to the rough setting quickly, and then fine tune it; and the springs holding the divider in position are frequently stronger than on machinist's dividers, so you're less likely to accidentally tighten up the setting in use.

I've sent you a private message with more information.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bill, nice description! I never thought of the advantage of the wing divider (didn't even realize the "fine-tunabilty" of it). Knowing that, Sean's finding (251530285273) is really tempting.

Thanks guys for your input. I'll keep my eyes out for them.

Another option is trammel points. http://www.homedepot.com/p/General-T...-520/100659790 The minimum radius is limited but the maximum is how long a stick you have. Very fine points and the accessory to hold a pencil. Very handy to have.

A few of the cheaper wing dividers out there in the wild lack the fine adjustment. Look for the extra nut (usually, as in the case of the eBay auction Sean listed, knurled), on the fixed end of the wing. Some wing dividers allow for the use of a pencil, in place of one leg or on an attachment to the leg. This is a nice feature.

And, responding to Walter Plummer's comment, I'm right glad I have trammel points for long arcs, but I'd hate to have to use them to lay out dovetail spacing, or the legs on the pedestal of a candle stand. You can swing dividers around with one hand; trammel points would take two hands, and you'd have to have a really short stick to put them on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kesh Ikuma View Post

Many (if not all) in these drafting sets have what I called chuncky-legged ones. They must have a slots at the end to clamp separate pins while the legs of the pointy kinds are formed a sharp tip. Any advantage of one over the other? I'm probably overthinking this as I do with most everything else...
    In different instances the different kinds have advantages.

Of course some are fast setting or have solid points. The advantage of some of the sets is the ability to change out the points for pencil leads or even inking nibs on some of them. Some folks have used the inking tips for making knives.

One of my compass/dividers can use a cut off nail in place of a pencil lead.

Between compasses, dividers and calipers I likely know where well over a dozen are. There should be another dozen packed away somewhere that I haven't seen in a few years.

They are as handy to have around as marking gauges.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I have some like the Starrett 83B-6 seen http://www.starrett.com/metrology/pr...Dividers/83B-6.

They are expensive but have the quick-adjust nut to get you close but leave the full precision of the screw mechanism for fine-tuning the position. They do not, however, support the pencil/compass conversion.

Ya pays your money, makes your choices, and takes your chances! :-)
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Jim. Do you find the 6" to work well? I've been looking at the Starrett, but can't decide on 3" or 6". Currently using some generic 12" things.
    “Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway”
    - John Wayne (1907-1979)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Of course some are fast setting or have solid points. The advantage of some of the sets is the ability to change out the points for pencil leads or even inking nibs on some of them. Some folks have used the inking tips for making knives.
    Ah, that makes sense. That's pretty nifty to use an inking tip on a compass

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Close View Post
    Jim. Do you find the 6" to work well? I've been looking at the Starrett, but can't decide on 3" or 6". Currently using some generic 12" things.
    I find the 6" to be ideal for me. A good pair of dividers works well down to even small sizes (that's where cheap ones get flaky) and I haven't felt the need for anything larger. I started out with one pair, found where it'd be convenient to have more and bought a second set of 6"-ers.

My philosophy is to buy quality once and cry only once, even if I must wait longer to get it. I do recognize that there's other philosophies out there. Besides, I'm just a hobbiest, so time isn't direct income for me.

YMMV.
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Blog Entries
    A few of the cheaper wing dividers out there in the wild lack the fine adjustment. Look for the extra nut (usually, as in the case of the eBay auction Sean listed, knurled), on the fixed end of the wing.
    Saw a pair of ~6" winged dividers today with the adjustment nut. The spring was a bit weak. Priced at less than $10.

I bought some other things. (That is the subject of another post.)

jtk