Thread: Oneida and HF Dust Collector Combo...lol

Oneida and HF Dust Collector Combo...lol

I recently acquired an Oneida 2 stage dust collection system at an estate sale. I currently have a HF single stage dust collector. The HF is 2HP and the Oneida has a 1.5 HP Lesson Motor. Obviously the Leeson is a better quality motor, but the HF is 2HP instead of 1.5HP. I got the oneida primarily for the plethora of 4/5 and 6” metal piping, blast gates and the 2 stage setup. I’m thinking about taking the 2HP motor off the HF and putting it on the Oneida if it performs better… I have a digital anemometor and got the following CFM results off the HF: (converted from MPH cause I can’t get the dang anemometor to set on CFM).
    Freshly cleaned, no cake (yet) 5 micron bag:
    At intake of unit – 97 mph with 2.375 radius = 1050 CFM – No hoses attached. (1550 Rated CFM… Yeah, Right HF! Maybe if I took the filter bag completely off, but still doubt it. They’re all liars!!)
    One blast gate open with a 10’ flex hose attached – 76 mph with 2.0625 radius = 620.68 CFM
    Two blast gates open and two 10’ flex hoses attached – 60 mph with 2.0625 radius = 490.01 CFM

I’m going to check the Leeson with the same conditions and see which one performs better. I would expect the Oneida, but like I said above, I think they all exaggerate and it is .5 less HP. Another thing about the Oneida is it has the internal filter instead of external and I think that hurts the CFM as well.
    Anyone know if I could simply switch the motors? Put the HF motor on the Oneida setup? Or, perhaps put a 3 or 5HP motor on the Oneida?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carr View Post
    Anyone know if I could simply switch the motors? Put the HF motor on the Oneida setup?
    The way motors are rated these days, it might be 1 1/2hp actual.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I haven't looked recently but the HF 2hp used to be 13a; probably closer to 1hp than 1.5hp. The Oneida is probably the more powerful of the two.

If you put a bigger motor than the DC was designed for, it simply won't use the extra HP. Clearview has a 5hp motor draws much less than the rated current because the cyclone isn't large enough to use it.
    I suggest you use the motors provided.

Interesting... I'll have to check the amp draws and do the calculations (when I google them again) and see what they're really pushing. I'll be the Leeson is closer to its rated HP.
    I wonder if Clearview puts the 5HP on (even if it doesn't use it) because Mr. Pentz basically states that 5HP is required to remove the dangerous invisible particles.

I wonder if Clearview puts the 5HP on (even if it doesn't use it) because Mr. Pentz basically states that 5HP is required to remove the dangerous invisible particles.
    If they do, it shows that people give Mr Pentz's opinion far more weight than I think it deserves.

I'm interested to hear what you find out. A friend has a oneida that sounds like the one you describe. He will give it to me, only problem is it is missing it's filter which runs around $200 if I remember correctly. I have the HF now, but it has seen a lot of use, and someday it's gonna fail...

I have an Oneida 1.5 HP cyclone. The motor is sized to match the load of the impeller. Installing a 2 or 3 HP motor on it will not make it perform any better. True motor HP on the HF unit seems to be questionable, based on amp draw.

John

I thought that the one I purchased was missing the filter because the exhaust stack doesn't connect to anything... It's just a long straight pipe that runs parallel with the ceiling for about 8'. That's when his son told me he thought it had an internal filter. I guess I'll find out for sure once I get it home. It'll be a couple of weeks, but I'll keep this thread updated with my findings.

John,

Have you done any tests with a anemometer to see what CFMs you're getting? How do you like the unit? Does it perform well? Do you have the internal or external filter? I've heard that the internal filter decreases performance and yet again, someone stated that the internal filter increases performance... lol

Hi, I have one of those 1.5HP Oneida cyclones.

I eventually converted mine from internal to external filter.

It's still in use 12 years later.

If you need a copy of the manual please send me a PM with your email address.................Regards, Rod.

That would be great... Thanks Rod. What was your reason for converting to external filter?
    Last edited by Bill Carr; 05-13-2014 at 12:27 PM.

That would be great... Thanks Rod. What was your reason for converting to external filter?
    Much less messy to clean.

The entire reason to go to an Oneida cyclone was to have clean air, then I had an internal filter that was dirty on the outside, so I contaminated my shop everytime I cleaned the filter.

After a few years I bought an external HEPA refit from Oneida.............Regards, Rod.

Mine is the internal filter model. It does OK for my garage shop, but the internal filter is a real pain. I plan on converting it to an external filter some day.

John