Thread: Question on Use of Festool Domino

Question on Use of Festool Domino

Hi, all...

I recently received a new Domino 500. I was hoping to use the pin stops on the horizontal positioners to make a series of mortises on 3-1/2" centers. I find that 100mm is the most narrow setting. What I need is a series of slats for mission beds... I was going to make these mortises and then center-mortise my slats at each end... essentially using the domino to get accurate alignment with a minimal of cumulative error as I go about making 17 of these mortises in a row.

Now I know I can mark up my board... a line every 3.5", and then I can use the cursor. But has anyone got another suggestion on how to do this? Is there an aftermarket tool that would let me do this easily? Just my luck. If I could stand a 4" distance, I'd be able to use the horizontal positioner... but I have my design that calls for 3.5".

I've seen the mortising positioner from RTS Engineering, but it references (at least to my observation) from the edge of the board... not from the previous mortise.

If someone wants to point out what a doofus I am for not seeing a more obvious way to do this, well... that would be a welcomed reply. :-)

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Athens, AL

Jeff here is a link to their cross stops. As a bonus all domino's and accessories are on sale right now.

http://www.festoolusa.com/power-tool...ss-stop-498590

I live in the south but I'm from the north.
    I have been doing a repeat cut as of late. Ot with a Dom but the idea should work for you.

Make a story pole. Thin piece of wood with the layout on it. Find a way to affix it to your wood and index your cuts from that. Maybe cut the layout in it and use something on the Dom to register it with.

If you just use a tape measure, you would avoid cumulative error. IMO, it's just not enough work to be worth chasing down some other, faster technique, when the most obvious way is more than adequate. I could lay out the mortises in the time it took to post this response.
    Last edited by johnny means; 05-11-2014 at 11:44 PM.

A square and a pencil, mark both pieces at the same time. It works for me.
    Actually so well I never spent much time messing with the cross stops.

For the rails, I'd just mark it as well. With care, worst case you'll be off a fraction of the width of the pencil line. For the slats, the self-centering guide would work, and work well, but you could also throw together a single-purpose shop made jig. If you dry fit and can see an error (and I'd be REAL surprised if you could, just take a couple swipes off the sides of the offenders with a plane.

Cumulative error, cascading error, no idea if you are seated for alignment. Make the marks and you won't regret it, Mike's idea marking both pieces works flawlessly. I only use the cross stops to reference from end of boards, not from previous cuts so there is no mistake and no cumulative or cascading error.

-Brian