Thread: Finishing tips need for waterbased poly application

Finishing tips need for waterbased poly application

Hi, this is my first post . I have question I used a water based color stain and I sealed the piece with dewaxed shellac , should this recieve a light sanding after it dries ? And I was gonna apply a water based poly satin finish. Should I use the gloss for the first coats ? It's gonna get a lot of use . Thank you.

I would put on one coat of poly before the light sanding.

George

I agree, apply at least one coat of your topcoat before sanding so you don't risk cutting through the stain. I use the same sheen for all coats, although I know many people start with gloss and only use the flatter sheen for the last one or two coats. I've never found a problem with the maximum 3 or 4 coats I use, but I guess if someone applied a lot more or heavier coats it might be prudent to use gloss for the first few.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I agree, apply at least one coat of your topcoat before sanding so you don't risk cutting through the stain. I use the same sheen for all coats, although I know many people start with gloss and only use the flatter sheen for the last one or two coats. I've never found a problem with the maximum 3 or 4 coats I use, but I guess if someone applied a lot more or heavier coats it might be prudent to use gloss for the first few.

John
    Ok, thank you, this is for a kitchen island do you think 4 coats is good ?

I use four coats of clear to finish kitchen cabinets and never bothered with switching out from gloss to satin - just satin all the way so as not to have two different types of (expensive) left over finishes building time towards the end-user date on the cans.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by John russo View Post
    Ok, thank you, this is for a kitchen island do you think 4 coats is good ?
    Which WB product are you planning to use? Some are more durable than others.

John

Which WB product are you planning to use? Some are more durable than others.

John
    I was thinking about using varathane diamond floor finish. Tell me what you think .

I was thinking about using varathane diamond floor finish. Tell me what you think .
    Also the rust oleum ultimate poly that they have.

That's a very good finish, but be careful using it on vertical surfaces--VERY thin coats, or it will run.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Sorry, I have no experience with it, but I would guess it's a better product than the Rustoleum one, based simply on price. The saying you get what you pay for is more often true than not. I have used the solvent based Varathane product on floors and it's done very well. But I would do a test first with your finish on some scrap before applying it to your project. Let it cure about 3 weeks and then subject it to the same kinds of abuse and chemicals and foods you would expect it to see during use. If it survives you're good to go. If it doesn't, take a look at General Finishes EnduroVar or Enduro Clear Poly.

John

Sorry, I have no experience with it, but I would guess it's a better product than the Rustoleum one, based simply on price. The saying you get what you pay for is more often true than not. I have used the solvent based Varathane product on floors and it's done very well. But I would do a test first with your finish on some scrap before applying it to your project. Let it cure about 3 weeks and then subject it to the same kinds of abuse and chemicals and foods you would expect it to see during use. If it survives you're good to go. If it doesn't, take a look at General Finishes EnduroVar or Enduro Clear Poly.

John

hey thanks for the tips I got the gf clear poly . is a 1.4 size tip good for spraying the gf clear poly or does it need to be thinned ?