Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turning Under the Influence (TUI)

Turning Under the Influence (TUI)

This turning my well support the premise that drinking and turning don't mix. I wasn't drinking though -- HONEST. Twelve inches in diameter.
    IMG_0754.JPGIMG_0764.JPGIMG_0758.JPG

What ya think?

Wow--but what are we looking at and how large.

I luv this type of construction..so many lovely colors & patterns. Very well done, Bill. It's a beauty
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Nice effect. Good job Bill!
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I don't know what you were/are drinking, but I want some of it.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I enlarged this to 400% to make sure I was seeing this correctly.
    Good for you, NICE JOB. Roll a couple more and we will see how the
    next one turns out.

7. Great looking piece Bill, very exotic and interesting looking piece, it captures your attention immediatley. Very well done and beautiful.

Very nicely done, Bill. What woods did you use?
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Maybe you had one of those flash backs they always promised me I would have.... I thought it was painted at first. Nice!

robo hippy

Wow! That's gorgeous. Your attention to details and dedication towards work is excellent. This piece is
    incredibly awesome. The wood combination, finish and contruction are striking! Great job.

That's fantastic Bill. I've seen a similar technique before somewhere, perhaps your work as well. I can't figure out how you did it. Is there a tutorial or video out there somewhere for this? Or is it your proprietary technique....

Hal Metlitzky first introducted this technique at the 2012 and 2013 AAW Symposium. One of his pieces from the 2013 Symposium is on the cover of the Rockler Catalog. This may have been where you saw it. In resent months there as been a growing discussion on this technique on the Segmented Woodturners Forum and from that Dennis Edwards published a How-to-Vedio on Utube. You can search Utube for "Dennis Edwards Woodturner" or "Dizzy Bowl" as he calls it.

Thanks Bill! I will check it out. It's on my bucket list of things to attempt.....

Bill, that is one gorgeous, unique bowl.

I really like the swirling effect you have created. I don't remember seeing any segmented work like that.
    God is great and life is good!