Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tele-Style Guitar Build

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lamborn View Post
    Hi, Julie. This is my first time here. My name is Peter. What I want to know is, what is the best method for determining the center line on any body? Is there a good method for any body or is it different for each?

Peter
    Sorry for not responding sooner Peter but we just got back from vacation...

When making a guitar, I establish a center line on the body (and neck) on the blank stock. If I am gluing up two pieces for the body, I usually make the glue line the center line. That way it's easy to find throughout the process. For the neck, I mark front and back as well as the top and bottom edges and remark the line when I lose it through the profiling, sanding, etc.

For an existing body, I use the center of the neck cavity and, if possible, the center of the bridge or tremolo. A fixed bridge will have screw holes and you can measure the distance between them for center. A tremolo thru-cavity is off center but you can use the center of the spring cavity on the back side and follow that through the thru-cavity. To double check, I'll mark the centers of the pickup cavities and place a straight-edge along those and the other two marks (neck and trem) see how they all line up.

Got the guitar together and just strung it up this morning. I tuned the strings on the piano to start the setup process. I hadn't done anything to it, not even straighten the neck. It had a slight back bow so I wanted to see how much the strings pulled it up.

While I was tuning it I didn't notice any buzz but the action seemed fine. So when I was done I decided to play it before beginning the setup and it played incredibly well. No buzz. Fast action and it sounded pretty good. I didn't even intonate it.

Anyway, here's Brian playing, pre-setup.

Sounds like a Tele! Good job

Thanks John. I don't know if I mentioned this but the pickups are Fender N3. They are supposed to be noiseless and they lived up to the billing. They are the first pickups I've seen that have + (red), - (black) and ground (green). Maybe the separate ground makes the difference.

After the video, I started the setup process. I adjusted the truss rod a bit to get a .008 relief at the 8th fret. The string tension had taken out the back bow and added a bit more so now the truss rod is tensioned. I was concerned if it didn't need tensioning that it might rattle.

I found the action on bass E, 1st fret, to be .016". Stew Mac suggests .024". But there is no buzz anywhere along the frets so I'm leaving it. KB likes low action and he's getting it. Treble E was .010", right on Stew Mac's recommendation.

I then set the saddle heights and set them for a 14" radius.

And that was it for the setup. No nut filing done. But I'm still not believing it could be this simple. The other guitars took me probably half a day to get everything right. This was almost there just after assembly. I keep thinking I'm missing something.

I'll take some final pictures, then send it out Monday and wait for the feedback. Brian said it had the fastest action of any guitar he's ever played. He also said it played easier. I kind of thought so too but I'm not experienced enough for my opinion to count much. Now Brian wants to make a neck to replace his Fender neck. And he has some WILD! ideas.

Blog Entries
    Julie, Nice job. Sounds like it should and is beautiful to boot. I await the results of the setup but it doesn't seem like it needs much.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

KB called me the other night. He received the guitar late Monday. He tuned it and played it for a while before "showing it off" (his words) He said he went to the Guitar Center he frequents and showed the guys there and they were very impressed. The manager and several other guys who work there are professional musicians and all tried out the guitar. The manager told him he wished he could get his hands on guitars "like this" and offered to buy it from KB on the spot.

I think KB went into this venture expecting a fairly decent guitar that looked pretty. I don't think he expected it to play as well as it does. Now he finds he loves it. He even ordered a custom leather strap for it that set him back $200. He said he just called to let me know. That's pretty cool.

Well done!

Julie,I wanted to play your video again just now,but it went black and said "error occurred". Can you do anything about it? I wanted to hear it again. Thank you,and great that your guitar was such a success.

Blog Entries
    Terrific! What a compliment!
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

I tried again and the video worked this time.

The other day Kevin sent me a picture of the strap he had custom made for the guitar. It looks better than the guitar!

Did I mention he's a pastor from Texas?

Then the next day he said he thought the strap was too dark. So he's going to have the guy make another one in a lighter color.

Blog Entries
    It is a real pretty guitar. I like the strap, but I think lighter would be better as well.
    Shawn

13. Julie - Hi! Thanks for the info! I think my account didn't say to notify me when answered. I notice that you replied on June 29th. I'll definitely benefit from your instructions as soon as I get my shop up and running. I'm currently working on it, having moved and needing to use a third bedroom rather than a garage which I don't have in this location!

Peter

14. Julie - Hi! Thanks for the info! I think my account didn't say to notify me when answered. I notice that you replied on June 29th. I'll definitely benefit from your instructions as soon as I get my shop up and running. I'm currently working on it, having moved and needing to use a third bedroom rather than a garage which I don't have in this location!

Peter

Kevin (KB) sent me a recording of him playing the guitar yesterday. They took the song Green River and rewrote the words for their church and called it Jordan River. The recording lost some of the instruments but the guitar and vocals were pretty clear. I thought the guitar sounded pretty good. I'd post it but don't know who to post an audio file. He didn't send pictures but he said he has the new strap. If I can get him to send me a pic, I'll post it.