Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Routers and Router Tables

Routers and Router Tables

As I posted earlier I am looking to update my routers soon. Will probably by a PC 310 for rounding over work, sign work and other light duty work. Am going to get a Dewalt DW 618 PK with the fixed and plung bases, this will be for my dadoing and hearvier free hand work. However, will this 2 1/4 model work well in a router table doing rail and stile work and panel raising in 3/4 stock or is it pretty much necessary to get a 3 HP model like the Hitachi? I have been thinking about building a "norm" style router table like many here have, however, since I have a small shop, the size of a cabinet like that may cramp me a bit. I am thinking about getting a Benchdog Pro Contractor router table kit. Is anyone here using this table and if I do go with a 3HP router like the Hitachi, will it work ok in a smaller table like this. This table seems perfect for my shop size wise. Definitely better than the open aluminum craftsman frame one I have now, will be more adjustable, much better fence, enclosed interior for DC and would mount on my portable tool stand and just need to get a light duty mobile base for it. Appreciate any feedback.
    Thanks as always,
    Corey

Routers and stuff

Corey,
    Personally, I'm a Bosch fan. My plunge version holds its settings perfectly and the locking lever has never slipped once. I've got a non-plunge version for my router table (built into my table saw extension). It too has served me very well. Again, it holds the settings perfectly.

Whatever, there are a lot of good routers out there. The PC and Hitachi are right at the top. For a router table, I would stay away from the Milwaukee router unless they have changed their design to keep the body from falling out of the frame when the clamp is released.

Are you getting reckless? It sounds as though your electrical update includes more than one receptacle. Watch it, Corey, if you leave the switch "ON" to your belt sander, it may search you out and crawl right up your back! No offense! I'm just concerned about your safety. My wife is from Des Moines so I know the breed.

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Alternative to PC 310

Corey,

Check the new Bosch palm router see if you like it better.
    Just a suggestion.

http://www.boschtools.com/tools/tool...175980&G=66644

Thanks Dale, what is the HP of your table version? Bosche is nice I am sure, they get very good reviews. I haven't ever bought a Bosch anything, don't know why! I should be able to plug in either my scroll saw or the router table without moving them if I choose to in the new set up Man, I went way to many years with basically one outlet and unhooking the plug, plug in another tool, un plug it, plug in the shop vac, un plug that, plug back in the table saw.... it really slows down the creativity. It will be nice!! Des Moines huh...have made that trip way to many times for highschool football and wrestling... even though we are 2 1/2 hours away, my son played many a football game ( field goal/ place kicker/punter) soccer games and wrestling meets in Des Moines area.
    Corey
    Last edited by Corey Hallagan; 06-24-2005 at 11:07 PM.

Thanks Frank, I haven't seen the Bosch in person and haven't read much on it but I really like what I read about the 310 and if I do get it I plan on getting Pat Warners base set for them. He really likes the 310 and the Dewalt line up of routers for that matter.

Corey

When I was researching routers last year it seem I saw more favorable responses for the bosch routers than all others. Because of that research I ended up with two bosch's, the 1617 fix base for my router table that I never remove and using an older 1613 plunge for all my portable routing.

Based on my experence I would highly recommend the bosch even though the other are good routers.

After looking more, I like this little Bosch alot. 1 HP, 35,000 RPM, Soft Start which I really like, I think the only laminate trimmer with soft start. And it is cheaper. Just might have to get my first Bosch!
    Corey

Bosch Palm Router

Corey,
    The PC 310 is a very old design (about 30 yrs or so). If you read Pat Warner's website you will see he is making reference to one manufacturer updating laminate trimmer desgin. I take he is refering to the Bosch unit. I have not purchased the Bosch yet, but it sure is on my list. It has all the cool features of new generation routers. As you pointed out it is cheaper too.

I would go for the Milwaukee 3 hp for the RT. For free handing the dewalt is nice but for free handing what ever I bought it would have a D handle.

Router Table Router

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Hallagan
    Thanks Dale, what is the HP of your table version? Bosche is nice I am sure, they get very good reviews. Plus wrestling meets in Des Moines area.
    Corey

Corey,
    Sorry for the delay in responding but, dad-gummit, the manual wasn't in my library for the router that I use in my table. I had to get down on my back and squirm around for a while to get the model number. Making matters worse is the fact that I didn't clean my shop after todays routing. I'm not only covered with chips but, at my age, it took me six hours and a 911 call to get me up off the floor. It looks like a Model 1617 EVS with a 2 HP rating. My free-hand plunge is a 1613 EVS and I like it very much. It's also a 2 HP unit.

One point that I'm sure you already know. A 2 HP unit with a sharp bit will cut much better and faster than a 4 HP unit with a dull bit. I've used a 3/4" radius bit on Oak with no problems or laboring of the motor. The other advantage is that you don't have to take the battery out of the smoke detector when you are using sharp bits.

Another thought, don't necessarily listen to a bunch of Bosch fans. The Hitachi, as I understand is an excellent router table choice. Another one, which I came within a smither of buying was the Freud. From what I can tell, it is an excellent table router and may save you some money without sacrificing performance. I don't want to complicate your life but that's what you get for putting more than one receptacle in your shop.

Lastly, I also have attended quite a few wrestling matches in the Des Moines area. As I mentioned, that is where I met my wife when I was a young dude engineer at Firestone. My wrestling matches, however, were out in some deserted cornfield near the city. I lost them all and, after nearly forty years, I still do! WOE IS ME!!

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Dale...your cracking me up. Thanks for the info on the router. I am really in a quandry on what to get. It ill either be a Dewalt or Bosch 2 1/4 HP Plunge/fixed kit for general free hand work. I know they are both excellent units. For the table I am still thinking about the Hitachi 3 HP ...pretty simple straight forward router from what I read that is well made. I just don't want to upgrade for along time which Is why I am leaning to a 3 HP unit but we will see. The battle of the Blue & Gray... and Yellow and Green Oh and you are quite right on the the router bits sharpness... I learned that on my first router and bits years ago.... that little steel bit didn't las long!!
    Corey

Corey,

Right now, I'd have to say that if you are looking for a 3HP model mainly for undertable use, take a long look at the Milwaukee 5625. It was designed with this use in mind, with through table access to depth adjustment.

I replaced my PC 7518/Woodpecker lift with just the Milwaukee mounted in a cast iron extension wing. For under $300 it woks as well for me as the $500 PC/Precision Lift.

Pictures on this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost...98&postcount=7
    Ken Waag

Corey, the DW618 will work nicely in a table as long as you don't want to swing large panel raisers "a lot". It's a great 12 amp machine; even with the two Festool routers I have now, I still like the Dewalt in many ways, particularly when I want a fixed base format.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Corey,

I purchased the DW618PK about a year ago and have been using it in my router table ever since. I liked the 618 so well that I purchased a 2nd one about a month ago. It is a GREAT router and I don't believe that you will find ANYONE that will tell you it is not.

FYI, in April Bosch released a router base (RA-1165) for the 1617 that is designed to be mounted in a router table. For $53 it gives you a second base for the 1617 and it comes with a key that allows you to adjust the depth from above the table. Like the standard base for the 1617, all it takes to release and remove the motor is a simple pull on the clamp that holds it in place. Also, the RA-1165 has a safety device to prevent the user from accidentally dropping the motor on the floor when the clamp is released. It takes me less than 30 seconds to remove my router from one base and lock it into the other. It makes the 1617 very flexible and saved me from buying another router. For the price the price of the 1617 kit and the $53 router table base, you get a very capable 2.25 hp router that can switch very quickly from plunge to fixed base to router table operation. I certainly think it's worth considering. IIRC, the limit of travel and adjustment with the RA-1165 is 1" or so.

-Steve