Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stair railing and posts

Mreza

If you did this work for a living you would be an impressive craftsman. As a homeowner you are nothing short of amazing. My hat off to you sir!

Larry Edgerton
    Crooked Tree Joinery

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Mreza

If you did this work for a living you would be an impressive craftsman. As a homeowner you are nothing short of amazing. My hat off to you sir!

Larry Edgerton
    Crooked Tree Joinery
    Thank you sir! I'm a homeowner and all of these that I'm doing (doors, railings, arches, etc) are my first attempts at these, but I've educated myself before each and forums like this have been quite helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    Thank you sir! I'm a homeowner and all of these that I'm doing (doors, railings, arches, etc) are my first attempts at these, but I've educated myself before each and forums like this have been quite helpful.
    That's ridiculous. And very impressive.
    -Lud

Very nice work, well done.
    Richard

I appreciate it.

Another plus for the beautiful job you did on your posts. How do you plan to finish those? I can't wait to see the finished product, sure you can't wait either.
    Ed

Ed, I have just started finishing all the maple I have (doors, trims, posts, railing, etc). I am staining them myself (spray then lacquer). It's a stressful job as I've never done such a large staining and I am really afraid of ruining all the work I have put into this. I hope I get good results....

Well I stained and installed (yes first stained and then installed!) the railings. Here are a few photos.

You can see a lot more with everything else in my "House building thread..." that got moved to the other forum:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...=1#post2362005

st5.jpgst4.jpgst6.jpgst7.jpg

That is the exact reason I started using lock miters. Posts for my stair railing. The thing I learned about lock miters when I did my posts is how important it is to have the shaper spindle perpendicular to the table in all directions. Once I had my shaper tuned I got much better cuts with no burning on the hard maple I used.

Those are some very nice looking posts! Much fancier than the posts I made.