Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MiniMax S45 Replacement Motor

I have a green S45 with a replacement motor. I bought it used from a guy that had a custom aluminum adapter plate made, so I can't help with the specifics in your case. I think he bought it used and replaced a 3-phase motor with single phase.

The motor that came with my saw was a 3hp 3450 RPM motor. It ran way too fast in my opinion. I swapped it out for a 2hp 1725 RPM motor and am much happier. I forget the exact calculations, but it brought the speed from around 4000 fpm down to around 2000 fpm.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    I have a green S45 with a replacement motor. I bought it used from a guy that had a custom aluminum adapter plate made, so I can't help with the specifics in your case. I think he bought it used and replaced a 3-phase motor with single phase.

The motor that came with my saw was a 3hp 3450 RPM motor. It ran way too fast in my opinion. I swapped it out for a 2hp 1725 RPM motor and am much happier. I forget the exact calculations, but it brought the speed from around 4000 fpm down to around 2000 fpm.

Steve
    What size motor pulley did you use?

I should add my saw works great. I hate to change anything. I also need to check my motor size as I don't know the hp. If I have 3 hp I guess I don't want to drop down to 1.5 hp.
    Last edited by lee cox; 09-19-2016 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Well, I picked this up on Saturday for $400. Looks almost unused and comes with Carter guides and several unused blades, original belt and pulley, just no motor. I’m thinking I’ll be able to retrofit a 56C frame motor and either purchase a new sheave or bore out and re-key the existing one from 19mm to 7/8”.

Other than the rather unfortunate blade changing arrangement and crummy stock fence, it seems like a big upgrade from my existing Delta 14” with riser block.
    I just posted over on OWWM.ORG some photos of my MM S-45 with a Kreg Band Saw Fence added. Another member wanted to replace his fence and posted pictures of mine. I think the post is called Bandsaws Covered...

MM S45.jpg
    Last edited by Eric Commarato; 09-19-2016 at 5:43 PM.

Eric, thanks for posting that. I've talked to several guys who put the Kreg fence on older S45's but never actually seen photos of it. Looks pretty good! Thanks for sharing.

Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Eric, thanks for posting that. I've talked to several guys who put the Kreg fence on older S45's but never actually seen photos of it. Looks pretty good! Thanks for sharing.

Erik
    Thanks Erik. It really was a pretty easy install, you just have to spot and drill/tap a few holes. It also works fabulous, a much improved upgrade from the stock fence.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by lee cox View Post
    I wonder if he ever found a motor. I have a Minimax S45 bandsaw two-tone green. The motor is getting very hot. I think it needs bearings. If I can't get bearings I may need another motor. I would prefer the Baldor listed above if it will work as I don't currently have a Baldor, Does the Baldor D80D, SER F597, 3450 rpm's fit? What size pulley?
    I ended up finding a replacement CEG motor on Fleabay and had the existing pulley bored out to match.

I'd try replacing the bearings on your S45, really isn't that difficult. Replacement ones can easily be ordered from VXB.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    I ended up finding a replacement CEG motor on Fleabay and had the existing pulley bored out to match. I'd try replacing the bearings on your S45, really isn't that difficult. Replacement ones can easily be ordered from VXB.
    Many of us old timers use Lynn at Accurate Bearings for bearings. She is extremely helpful to say the least. If you can find a motor shop, you can also get the motor reworked and rebuilt. Most times that's a good alternative to a different motor.

Totally agree. A set of good quality SKF or Nachi bearings will set you back way less than $50.

The machine i bought didn't come with a motor in the first place so repair wasn't an option. Finding a metric replacement turned out to be a complete headache as well. New ones are available from Parts Pronto but SCM charges $700 and I believe the arbor size is different so you'd need a replacement pulley too. Most if not all good-quality metric motors available from CEG, WEG or Elektrim are three phase. Not so easy to source a single phase one.

I'm thrilled with the S45 otherwise. Even made the stock fence somewhat workable though the Kreg one above looks awesome.
    Last edited by Peter Kelly; 09-20-2016 at 11:15 AM.

I did the drill/tap with the Kreg fence copying Eric. It worked great. I need to solve my motor issues now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The S45 is an underrated saw. In every other market but the US, it out-sells the Centauro line by a pretty fair margin. The S45 has never been a huge seller (new) here in the states because the price is much closer to the MM16 than to the whole slew of Chaiwanese machines it is comparable to in spec. Back in the Minimax USA days, we had one of the old Mustard-colored S45's in the shop. 3-phase, 1.5hp. We used it like a chop saw, for making crate parts. The guys used to back into that thing all the time with the forklift and I think I heard it fall over a few times. Ran like a champ, never skipped a beat.

Erik

Hi everyone - I'm brand new to the site and I'm hoping someone with an S45 can help me out. I just picked an older yellow one today for $125. Needs new guides and it has a 3PH motor which I am having tested now at the local electric motor shop. In the event that the motor doesn't work, I would like to replace it with more HP and lower rpm US motor. I'm going to use it mostly to saw bowl blanks from green logs so torque is very important. If anyone out there has done this, please can you send me all the specs on the motor you used. Thanks very much in advance.

Ron

Hi - did you ever end up replacing the motor on your Minimax s45. I'm at that stage now and I'm looking for an easy solution. Can you send photos or motor specs to me?

Ron