Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dust mask

Yep, have to throw in my vote for the 3M respirators. I have the 6200, 6500 and full face 7100 series all with P100 filters. Highly recommend any of those.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    That is not always true. There are volatile compounds in the wood that are responsible for the smell. They can be bound up in the dust such that you smell it when breathing in dust, but they can also be released from the wood into the air freely - especially during milling.

I like the 3m half masks.
    I fully agree.

I understand a lot of members here have sealed workshops... it is not my own case. My workshop is plenty naturally vented, one advantage to live in a tropical area! I use dust masks only for very dedicated functions like some sanding... although I usually do not use dust masks, when using them I always went to 3M ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I bought the RZ Mask for when I feel I need personal protection when hand sanding, etc. and it's comfortable and seems to do a reasonable job.

I've got the RZ Mask too. Does a descent job, but keep in mind it is like a high end nuisance mask only.
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Quote Originally Posted by Jon McElwain View Post
    I've got the RZ Mask too. Does a descent job, but keep in mind it is like a high end nuisance mask only.
    True. It works for me because I'm rarely doing something where there is much hand-sanding. I keep it in its zip case, too, so that it doesn't get exposed to dust unless I'm actually wearing it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For all around use, I highly recommend investing in a full face-shield, positive-air-pressure dust mask like the Trend, Triton, or 3M Airstream (I use the latter, but it has gone up in price).

Mine has a battery pack on my belt with a filter and small blower in the back of a lightweight helmet, a clear full-face shield, and an elasticized Tyvek membrane between the face shield and your face. Face shield protective layer and Tyvek membrane are replaceable. Some have the battery, filter, and fan on your belt and an air hose to the helmet. The air hose puts noticeable tension on your neck compared with just a wire.

Why?
    · Cool gentle breeze across your face
    · Works with glasses without fogging
    · Any leakage exhausts air, so a snug, sweaty, fit isn't necessary
    · Works for all tasks (e.g., lathe) where you need full face protection.
    · More comfortable for all shop operations than respirators or disposable dust masks.
    · Not suitable for toxic vapors.

The 3M Airstream (AS-400LBC) and similar positive-air-pressure full-face shields will work fine with beards, even full-face beards.

They have HEPA dust/particle filters available, but did not protect against toxic fumes.

Why do I go to the shop? Well it's not to suit up and spend my time in a loud and hazardous place. I spend 60% of my time there not making dust, on design, layout, hand tool work etc. When it's necessary to make dust I use dust collection and a respirator, then leave the space for the air filter to clean it up. I agree with Glenn about vision and the Miller mask.