Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dust mask

dust mask

I'm wondering what mask provides the best lung protection from dust? I assumed that if you can smell the wood being milled the dust is reaching your lungs. Is that true?

Thanks,

Dave Fritz

That is not always true. There are volatile compounds in the wood that are responsible for the smell. They can be bound up in the dust such that you smell it when breathing in dust, but they can also be released from the wood into the air freely - especially during milling.

I like the 3m half masks.

3. X2 on 3M Half mask.

Thanks I actually have the 3M 6391 reusable respirator with P100 filters on them. The wood I smelled was some cherry and white oak. I didn't smell the walnut at all. Interesting.

Dave Fritz

The "best mask" would be a positive pressure, air purifying respirator. The only "affordable" one would be the Trend, used in conjunction with a hood.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    Odors are particular so if you smell something, it is in your nose. Whether or not it is bound to something large enough to cause concern is another discussion. I find the peripheral vision I lose with most half mask units unsafe BUT, I have a narrow sort of hatchet face . The best respirator for you may not be the best respirator for me and all that. This is my current favorite. Available at welder's supply or Amazon.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've taken numerous industrial respirator fit tests in the course of my job. After the occupational health professional gets you in a mask that best fits your face, they tell you to breath regularly while they wave a device that makes smoke (perhaps vapor) around your mask. If you can smell it (the best smells like buttered popcorn), they're not happy with the fit and adjust it or switch to a different one. I'm no expert, but I think the rational is that the air that's carrying the odor in would also carry in particulate that you don't want in your lungs.

I have allergies so I invested in a 3M Adflo mask with a belt mounted power HEPA filter. I love it, but is quite expensive. The nice thing is I can use it for extended periods of time with no comfort issues. I tried the older version of Trend but found it uncomfortable.

3M half masks with P100 filter works adequately, and is a lot more comfortable than N95 paper masks. They also filter nuisance level organic vapors so it can filter out some smells. Dust masks do not filter volatile compounds so you will smell the wood, it doesn't mean you are getting dust however.

Keep in mind the 3M half masks come in different sizes. Finding the right size will help it to be the right shape for your face and avoid leaks. In my opinion, they size small, which means I use a Large and still think it may be a bit small.

What is the difference between the 3M 6391 reusable respirator with P100 filters and the 600

regards Brian

Unfortunately , the 3M mask says it does not work with a beard.

Blog Entries
    Necro-thread here, but there is no face mask respirator that will work with a beard. The only kind that will are the powered or supplied air type that maintain positive pressure in the mask.

I have the half mask with carbon filters for spraying, and then a full 3m face mask with the p100s. The face shield is more expensive, but its a nice piece of equipment. It gives you full face protection, which is an added bonus. I always struggle with eyeware protection fogging up. The 3m full shield does not. It also gives you a double seal around the face and then around the mouth. I think the 'ultimate' respirator is the powered air supplied ones. Respirators are uncomfortable 99% of the time. If its over 70, i really need to make a mess to wear mine.

I bought the RZ Mask for when I feel I need personal protection when hand sanding, etc. and it's comfortable and seems to do a reasonable job.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...