Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: woodworking in NYC ???????

If you have a car and Westchester Co is a possibility, check out The Tool Nut in Yorktown Heights. They have a fairly extensive showroom of woodworking tools as well as a very broad selection of trade tools: drills, sawmills, levels etc.

Edward's making me really glad that my mom married a hick from Maine

Blog Entries
    I went into NYC about 3 years ago...... When I left, I promised myself I would never do that again.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Hmm, I recall seeing some of the finest pieces of furniture in American history in NYC. Go to the Met if you like to see great MASTERPIECES of American furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    I've never actually had a problem parking at Rosenzweig. The "yard" guys are great, people in the office, not so much.
    I've never had a problem with the office guys. The yard guys are helpful though. As far as tools for working wood goes the showroom is tiny. They only allow you up to the festool display which is a mere 15 feet or so in length and that's it. The guy behind the counter said that since I'm local it's better to order online since I'll receive the order next day anyway. The commute there isn't bad but parking is a nightmare.
    Last edited by Dimitrios Fradelakis; 04-29-2014 at 6:06 PM.

I am glad for you. We've (wifey and I and daughter and "son" (a Westi) went to visited the Down Easters twice. The first time just for the hell of it, the second time to look at colleges for the (distaff) offspring. The first time we got to Portland at around 10:00 PM. The motel eatery was closed, and the clerk (very nice young woman) directed us to the Roy Rogers down the block. Rather dubious, but hungry, we took her advice. Much to our surprise what we found was nothing like the RR's in the NYC area. The place was spic and span, the help welcoming, the coffee VERY good, and they had on the menu Lobster Salad Roll.

This epicurean delight was a truly massive hot dog role absolutely stuffed with Lobster, with a little bit of dressing thrown in for good measure to justify the name of Lobster Salad, instead of Lobster. And for a lower price than the NYC RR's would charge for a "regular" (6") hot dog.

We were in Seventeenth Heaven.

True Yankees are friendly - very friendly. We were made welcome everywhere we went. Portland Old Town is a very nice tourist area - definitely not a tourist trap. There are of course the less valuable - definitely not "junky" items, but it is calm, quiet, orderly, friendly, and low pressure. No hucksterism.

We took a harbor cruise - not rushed, knowledgeable answers to questions, explained in detail if needed, and no hurry - if we wanted to linger we could, and did.

The same with a (I guess it's called) party boat - we went "fishing" but little was caught - not the boat operators fault - they were on the radio all the time asking where the fish were.
    Since the fishing was so poor we got coupons for half-price tickets for the next time we went out.

We drove up Rt. 1 to Freeport - the home of L. L. Bean. Another nice place (we didn't run across ANY Not-Nice place during either of our stays, of about a week each time.)

I wish I lived there - winters and all. It's civilized. NYC isn't. We just had a man - with children and grandchildren - killed by a young thug for no apparent reason: viciously beaten, had his head smashed against a brick wall, and then just left on the street. He was seen, and ignored, by several pedestrians before the emergency services (police and ambulance) were called. The reason given was that they "thought he was passed out drunk, or a homeless man..."

I make things - it's in my blood. A simple thing - a hook sort of thing (of a scrap of 3/4 ply, cut with a jig saw and hand sanded and then varnished) to hang on the separator of my cubical on which I can hang my coat and umbrella. "Where did you get it?" I was asked. I, of course, replied "I made it." The reaction? Disbelief. I overheard someone saying that I was snotty because "I expected people to believe that I made it and wouldn't tell them where I bought it." I left it hanging one night and it was gone - stolen - the next morning. So I made another, better one. Same reaction. This time I took it home with me each night.

Yes, Mr, Downey - you should be really glad.

And Mr. Ruperto is right - The Tool Nut is a very good store... but it is so far up in Westchester County that it doesn't really count as New York City.

Also try across the Park to the New York City Historical Society museum. Some absolutely gorgeous stuff - all behind glass with guards all over the place.

The glass makes taking pictures difficult.

They are really just interested in showing the stuff off - not in answering questions, or allowing closer examination.

I know: I asked. Very politely.

I was told "NO", Very bruskly.

once again - of course you can - if you want Festool... at prices I don't believe they have the nerve to ask, given that this is the Internet Age.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    I've never actually had a problem parking at Rosenzweig. The "yard" guys are great, people in the office, not so much.
    You got there on a GOOD day. The office people can verge on the impossible.

Plus one on the MET, we spent a day there and even my wife, the pharmacist, was impressed with all the American furniture. I took gobs of photos, no flash allowed so take some faster lens for the darker areas.