Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lighter Weight Steamer Trunk

Flying objects aside - what about the trunk suggestions??
    and just for the record - they're callled 'America trunks' over in this corner----

Does not have to be flat topped to be strong. I made this one strong enough to sit on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Thin ply, reinforced corners and inlet wheels.
    These are designed to move, rather than as keepsakes.

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/1828-tru...FWVp7AodSHcAKg

12878676.jpg

beautiful trunk! is it cedar? I'm not worried about the curve on the top. I'm more concerned about dings in soft wood.

Yes it is Eastern Red Cedar. (aromatic) 24" long. I often make this trunk with a light weight curved top that would collapse if sat on but this one is for a "Cowboy" to use so I made it a little more robust.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

I like the idea of wheels. Very practical.

Check out the strength vs weight of various thickness of ERC and something like Ash which has superior bending qualities. It might be that the thinnest Ash required would be lighter than the thinnest ERC. I don't know that to be a fact but it's worth a look.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

I'm sitting on a batch of vintage Sitka Spruce and while It's very strong for it's weight, I'm not sure it would be durable enough for a trunk on it's own. I would op for putting a paint saturated canvas over the wood you use along with corner guards. This would give you a excellent, durable outer layer. If you go to ply, I would make sure it's Formaldehyde free ply.
    BTW, I'm understand a major automotive manufacturer used Sitka Spruce for construction of a large wind tunnel for testing back in the day.
    Good luck,
    Mac
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 05-04-2014 at 3:44 PM.

How about building an ata case instead?

I have been thinking along the same lines for my grandson when he goes off to college in three years however, I was thinking about building an ATA case so it would stand up to rough abuse. Sure, it's not as pretty as the fine wooden steamer trunk you posted a picture of but it is much more durable and practical.

I was trying to develop a design where units could stack and become a dresser with drawers and one of the top drawers would become a pull out desk to study on or the lid becomes a table he could use. I also have a plan for a kitchen unit that has a microwave, refrigerator, coffee pot, sound system, etc. I have built several ATA cases for other purposes and found them to be the most practical build I have ever done.

As Jim Mathews said, "Thin ply, reinforced corners and inlet wheels. These are designed to move, rather than as keepsakes." That's an ATA case! And you can use any color PVC laminate you want. How about the school colors?

Go to http://www.diyroadcases.com/ for more info on how to build or contact me at gds46@gmail.com.

pro-worksxs_001.jpgfridge_microwave_case.jpgcustom wardrobe case.jpgCOLORS.jpg

Gary in Sunny San Diego
    Last edited by Gary Salisbury; 05-05-2014 at 1:07 PM.

I like the inlet wheel idea. That makes it more portable. I think I would put the wheels on the bottom of the trunk.