Thread: What Type of Wood

What Type of Wood

image.jpg
    This is is a bench my son bought. Can anyone identify the type of wood? His wife wants a brown stain. Any suggestions regarding a finishing schedule would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Can't see the wood clear enough to identify.. Hopefully it's white oak... an excellent choice for outdoor furniture.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

I'm seeing poplar there. If it is, I'd paint it. Poplar doesn't look all that great with a clear finish, and it isn't known for surviving outdoor use. Paint would be a good finish for it.

I agree that it looks a lot like poplar. I cant get it to not blotch horribly with a dark stain, no matter what steps I use.

You should use an exterior finish. Oil would be a better choice, but you could go with a WB type wood preservative. Most canned stains are for interior use only.